3 phase board single phase meters | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 phase board single phase meters in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok i visited a property today that has a 3 phase consumer unit fed via 3 single phase meters, not something i have ever seen before..
can anyone tell me is this allowed and also would the owner be paying more for their electric as they have 3 separate bills?:confused:

are you by any chance in the london area, if so this is common practice for metering and has been for years, it makes no difference to the customer the 3 meters are simply summed and a single standing charge is made just as for a 3 phase meter, I dont know about other parts of the country though, since privatisation and edf being on the scene I believe london is now using 3 phase meters

Hi thanks for the replys its in lincs not london, its a 3 phase supply with 3 single phase meters (1 for each phase) these then all go to the same 3 phase board it seems the client receives a seperate bill for each meter which i thought was rather odd.
I think it probably had 3 single phase boards at one point feeding separate units and someone has removed and fitted a new 3 phase board
I am under the impression that if the 3 phase supply is not summed up they will be paying more fo their electric?

if its one supply they should only get one standing charge, the unit cost will be the same as a 3 phase meter, if they paying a standing charge for each meter this is wrong, do the seperate bills have the same account number

This is not uncommon here in the North West, The client may be able to get a better tarrif deal, but not without entering into the murky work of electricity supply companies.

Im not sure as i have not seen the bills, just going by what they have told me they get 3 separate bills, i have told them to contact their supplier about it, I just wanted to check that i am correct in advising them 3 separate bills for a 3 phase supply is wrong.

Most likley find that the building in it's life as been many things and over those years the electrical supply system as changed. It may have started out as a single unit, then split into perhaps 3 seperate units and now back again.

It is normal to see a 3 phase supply metered with single phase meters, but as said above the owner must check to make sure he is not being charged for individual accounts.

so the meters only had the neutrals in on each one. I looped the neutrals in and out of each meter in series . i dont know which method is correct.

thank you for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 3 phase board single phase meters in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net