3 phase domestic job | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 phase domestic job in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I fully accept that having swapped trades half way through my life I don't have the years of experience that many of you guys have and maybe I should have put my time in as an apprentice, but that isn't how it all turned out for me!

I am a qualified electrician with Stroma, but find their technical support patronising and unhelpful to say the least.

I do a lot of standard domestic work but I haven't done a lot of 3 phase. I have a friend who has a domestic 3phase installation which needs re-designing as they are upgrading their old night storage as well as getting new immersion heaters and aga etc. An extension is pending too!

I really want to help them out with project as this as the work lies awkwardly between your average domestic and commercial and they can't find anyone who can deal with it. It would be interesting and push my knowledge but it wouldn't be something I would be prepared to take on without having someone more experienced check my plans.

It would be quite a mission to put it all in a post so I was hoping maybe someone experienced would be willing to chat on the phone or meet up for an hour to talk it through. Happy to pay for the time.

Is it possible to install a poly phase DB, as opposed to three separate SP DBs? the poly phase way allows you to split the loads in a more beneficial way, imo

I believe I could do either. I was hoping for help deciding which was the better method. Sounds like you agree that it is worth running 3 phase to both locations for the benefit of the flexibility. When you say a Polyphase board, is that different from a 3phase board? If so, can you give me a link to an example? Thanks.

I believe I could do either. I was hoping for help deciding which was the better method. Sounds like you agree that it is worth running 3 phase to both locations for the benefit of the flexibility. When you say a Polyphase board, is that different from a 3phase board? If so, can you give me a link to an example? Thanks.
Poly phase is a posh way of saying 3 phase, no I dont mean take 3 phase to each location, what I mean is have 1 3phase DB so you can ballance the SP loads more easily at one point of connection, taking 3 phase to different locations will mean running sub mains to each position, sounds like my 1st suggestion is a non starter on this occasion.

Poly phase is a posh way of saying 3 phase, no I dont mean take 3 phase to each location, what I mean is have 1 3phase DB so you can ballance the SP loads more easily at one point of connection, taking 3 phase to different locations will mean running sub mains to each position, sounds like my 1st suggestion is a non starter on this occasion.

In my opinion the best and easiest way would be to have one central DB, this will allow you to, balance the loads easier, save you money by not having to run sub mains to remote locations, the only difficulty I can foresee is being able to extend the final circuits to the central DB, but without eyes on it's difficult to give any practical advice.

Yes, that us definitely an option. No 3ph equipment.
Some hobs have the ability to connect to two phases of a 3ph supply. Might be useful to help spread the load as the hob is going to be one of the highest power consumers.

But I'm not based in the UK, different rules and different gear in the shops. My hob is AEG.

This could be a good opportunity to simplify everything and tidy it up a bit - unless there's a good reason for them I'd put everything from those 3x single phase consumer units together in one 3 phase board on RCBOs.

Depending on the layout it may be worth taking sub mains to different parts of the house, but just because they don't currently own any 3 phase equipment doesn't mean they're not going to suddenly decide to make the most of their 3 phase supply, go out and buy a 3 phase pizza oven or welding set, you know, because they can.

Depending on the layout it may be worth taking sub mains to different parts of the house, but just because they don't currently own any 3 phase equipment doesn't mean they're not going to suddenly decide to make the most of their 3 phase supply, go out and buy a 3 phase pizza oven or welding set, you know, because they can.

They may even decide to have a stage the garden and host a mini festival!

Reply to 3 phase domestic job in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net