Currently reading:
3 phase TPN boards - earthing TT

Discuss 3 phase TPN boards - earthing TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, starting a new install on a job soon and having a complete mind blank. The supply at the main cut-out is a 3 phase TNCS supply. There is then a 50mm SWA running a considerable distance to a workshop where i will be installing a new TPN board as well as an earth rod to make all the workshops on a TT arrangement. From the cut-out end obviously the SWA armouring will be earthed in the switched fuse via the TNCS supply, but i want the workshops separate to this on a TT arrangement. How would you suggest i configure this in a way that the TNCS arrangement isnt continuous through to the TPN boards via the SWA armouring?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, starting a new install on a job son and having a complete mind blank. The supply at the main cut-out is a 3 phase TNCS supply. There is then a 50mm SWA running a considerable distance to a workshop where i will be installing a new TPN board as well as an earth rod to make all the workshops on a TT arrangement. From the cut-out end obviously the SWA armouring will be earthed in the switched fuse via the TNCS supply, but i want the workshops separate to this on a TT arrangement. How would you suggest i configure this in a way that the TNCS arrangement isnt continuous through to the TPN boards via the SWA armouring?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
A suitable stuffing gland ?

Normally I use an intermediate plastic enclosure, terminate the SWA into it, and run the cores right through the box and use a plastic coupler to the board. Though that could get a bit fun with 4 x 50 sq mm conductors!

I wondered about 6181Y, wasn't sure you can get anything other than yellow/green in 50 sq mm.

I wouldn't use an exposed stuffing gland too easy to undue and access the armour even if the sheath isn't removed.
I'm assuming the cable will have to be cleated well to hold it in place anyway, as a stuffing gland ain't going to hold it tight like a SWA gland to metal box would do?

If so the gland is really serving as an IP seal and less of a cable termination method and in which case it seems reasonable enough to take it in directly to the TPN board a few cm beyond the gland and then some self-amalgamating tape over the end of the SWA sheath and cut/snapped off armour to tidy up and avoid accidental contact. Fewer joints and not too different from a usual TN earthed board.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 3 phase TPN boards - earthing TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net