3-way switch issues. Can you blow a “switch”? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3-way switch issues. Can you blow a “switch”? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I took a light down to put up a new fixture and now the light goes on but the switch doesn’t shut the light off. The power only stays on so I am quite confused. It is a 3 way switch. Both switches will not turn the light off. The wiring “appears” to be 14/2 to fixture and 14/2 out of fixture to switch and 14/3 to next switch. Now I did blow the breaker when playing around. Could I have blown the switch itself. I have never heard of that but can not figure out why I can not get the light to go off. There is actually a 3rd 14/2 in the fixture box but it goes to my closet light. Thank you

It is unlikely you have 'blown' the switch and more likely you have got the wiring incorrect. How confident are you that you wired it back up as it was before?
Some photo's may help.
Here are the pics. The “switch” boxes. One box only has a 14/3 and the other has a 14/2 and a 14/3. I did not touch the switches at all…. Just the fixture/box…

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] 3-way switch issues.  Can you blow a “switch”?
    CDAB6A43-FAA5-4953-A7B3-3A71FD2D3F6D.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 27
    6D20BD87-D4CD-4435-83C4-ACC700DBC3D1.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 32
    1CE0DF98-D888-49CB-AFD9-CFA454954294.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 27

Reply to 3-way switch issues. Can you blow a “switch”? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net