3ph Mot bay - advise much needed!! | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 3ph Mot bay - advise much needed!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I would like some advise on a job i am about to undertake, A large industrial unit being used as an mot garage with an incoming 3ph supply of 63A. The client has ramps and testing equipment which totals 97A (this is adding together the various A ratings printed on the motor plates of each piece of equipment) along with a ring final circuit and a good chunk of flourecent tubes this puts it at well over 100A. Im not sure of the diversity allowance on this kind of install but i know all machinery will not be used at the same time. I think Its going to be a case of having a bigger supply fitted but would like to know how to put the wheels in motion and how big i should/can go

Thanks in advance guys an gals

cost factors for one. fixing of steel trunking for another. if it's overhead, SWA can be girder clipped rapidly whereas trunking has to be bolted/screwed.

SWA with the drops on double strut (and maybe tray) would be my preferred way

Corrected that for you Tel, come on sir let's do it right!!

cost factors for one. fixing of steel trunking for another. if it's overhead, SWA can be girder clipped rapidly whereas trunking has to be bolted/screwed.

wrong there, you can buy hangers for trunking and with a bit of rod.

I would do trunking then conduit to isolator then commando socket.

might throw some swa in near the end because of oil/water

wrong there, you can buy hangers for trunking and with a bit of rod.

I would do trunking then conduit to isolator then commando socket.

might throw some swa in near the end because of oil/water
Agreed if there is no budget for parts and labour it would be my preferred method, but Tel is talking about a normal job where the customer won't always go to that kind of cost. There are some tight sods out there you know!!!

They can't go buying all those ramps and other kit and then claim poverty when it comes to connecting them up so that they can actually be used!

I have never yet found the cost difference between SWA on tray and a proper steel trunking/conduit installation to be all that different on a small job like this.

They can't go buying all those ramps and other kit and then claim poverty when it comes to connecting them up so that they can actually be used!

I have never yet found the cost difference between SWA on tray and a proper steel trunking/conduit installation to be all that different on a small job like this.

They do though...in the real world:wink:

I know they do, it is up to is to ensure they understand the importance of doing the job properly. And of course to actually do the job properly.

I get all of my work through recommendations, and I know I have a reputation for not being the cheapest but for turning out jobs which come in on time and on price and do exactly what they are supposed to.
But I have enough work to keep me going 7days a week non-stop.

I know they do, it is up to is to ensure they understand the importance of doing the job properly. And of course to actually do the job properly.

I get all of my work through recommendations, and I know I have a reputation for not being the cheapest but for turning out jobs which come in on time and on price and do exactly what they are supposed to.
But I have enough work to keep me going 7days a week non-stop.

We obviously think and work along the same lines. The problems come, as in this case, when the clients want the jobs doing asap and as cheap as possible.....as seems to be the case with the OP.

Reply to 3ph Mot bay - advise much needed!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back