3phase | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3phase in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peteludman

I have to wire up an autoclave its 3 ph 415 v 9kw and doing ohms law I get 21.6 amps the question is do I devide this by 3 or would it be 21.6 a per phase

9000/(1.732 x 400) = 13A. THIS IS WHAT EACH LINE WILL CARRY.assuming no problem with power factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
9000/1.732 x 400 = 13A. THIS IS WHAT EACH LINE WILL CARRY.assuming no problem with power factor.
Although you got the right answer, the equation you passed on is somewhat flawed
Try 9000/1.732 then DIVIDE by 400= 12.99amps (13amps) id like to see the cable size for your 2million+ amps:eek:

Where were you baldsparkie, you missed that one lol

Last edited:
Although you got the right answer, the equation you passed on is somewhat flawed
Try 9000/1.732 then DIVIDE by 400= 12.99amps (13amps) id like to see the cable size for your 2million+ amps:eek:

Now for the CORRECT way! 9000/(1.732x400) = 13A ;)

Sorted!!

Steve.

----------------------------

Learn from your mistakes, but don't make too many or you will know too much

Indeed I did, must be getting old Darkwood. :D:D:D Glad you have your wits about you mate.

Divide it is multiply its not.:eek:;)

Now for the CORRECT way! 9000/(1.732x400) = 13A ;)

Sorted!!

Steve.

----------------------------

Learn from your mistakes, but don't make too many or you will know too much

Show Off !;):D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only add that you need to check on the auto-clave what its power factor is i.e p.f. 0.8
KVA=KW divided by p.f

so your current rating may well be a little higher (I assume you are looking at circuit protection &/or cable sizing)

How about (9000/3)/230. Gives the same result within a few milliamps. And easier way to remember.

If it's a 9kW balanced load, 3kW will be from each phase, therefore divide that by 230V and Bob's your Mothers brother.

Last edited:

Reply to 3phase in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net