415v coil on contactor advice please. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 415v coil on contactor advice please. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z

zander1

hi, 1st post on here so hello.
just need a little advice on contactors. i recently replaced a contactor (8oA, 3pole, 230v coil) but couldn't get it to work, it rattled around and made a right racket.
ive just received a replacement from the wholesalers (after a right dispute) so thought id just check it before i went to the site and replace it again (wired it to a plug/flex and plugged it in) but the same thing happened.
i checked the box which states 230v coil but on further inspection i noticed on the coil itself it says 415v and has an A1 connection and 2, A2 connections.
Now ive never had the opportunity to install a 415v coil before (done plenty of 230v) so i need to get my facts right when i phone my office to tell them whats going on. Am i correct in saying the coil needs to be activated by 2 of the phases (to get 415v running through it) and why is there 2, A2 connections.
That probably sounds like a complete noob question but like i said ive had no experience with 415v coils before and just want to get my facts right as this has caused enough aggro, and if its not my fault then its all good.

cheers.

Dont worry youre right ,you do need two phases for your coil.Some contactors come apart so you can change just the coil if need be,depends on the make.

What make is the contactor

Just beat me to it!

Last edited:
its a chint nc1, it does come apart (ive had it in bits its got 415 stamped on the underside to) just seems very odd that 2 in a row have been supplied in a box that states 230v coil.

thanks for the quick reply's guys, i can relax a bit now ha ha

im not, its going back to the wholesalers with a big fat 'told you so', the control circuit is single phase off a single phase cu so there's no easy way of picking up 2 phases. (its not the wholesalers fault but the company that they got it off, it was them who were being awkward). maybe i should of checked the coil first time round but after reading 230v on the box i didnt bother to check untill i tried this second one before.
anyway should be able to get it sorted now.

You will find the labelling is not wrong what happens is "some people" will buy the contactor with a 230v coil then realise that they need a 415v coil so they buy replacements at the suppliers swap them over then go back to the supplier and say I never used them give me a credit note hence ther is a 230v coil in a 415 box.

Nobody answered your question of why it has two A2 connections so i will. The coil will have an A2 at the top and an A2 at the bottom this is so if your are replacing a contactor in a panel in can give you the option of which A2 you use. Some contactors/coils only have thier A2 at the top or bottom so when replacing you might have to extend the cable to A2, the contactor/coil with two A2's saves you having to do this.

one of the companys I worked with bought a batch of "Chint" MCBS as they were cheaper than the M>G> equivelants but all we got were mcds breaking down and overheating on 32a feeding transformers no such problems with Merlins personaly Id give chint a miss

Nobody answered your question of why it has two A2 connections so i will. The coil will have an A2 at the top and an A2 at the bottom this is so if your are replacing a contactor in a panel in can give you the option of which A2 you use. Some contactors/coils only have thier A2 at the top or bottom so when replacing you might have to extend the cable to A2, the contactor/coil with two A2's saves you having to do this.

to add to that, A2 may be one common linked to all contactors and relays in a panel so its easier and tidier to wire with the extra termination

If you ordered 230/240v coil contactors and you were supplied incorrectly take them back get them replaced and charge the wholesaler for your time sorting it out

Reply to 415v coil on contactor advice please. in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net