415v ~ in your house? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 415v ~ in your house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

theroadblock

Heres one for you guys, not sure if you've ever given it a thought but an operator at my workplace today mentioned that he keeps having power dips / losses to every other house in his street, so obv i thought 'ok there is probably some issue with one of phases supplying your area'. anyway so he confirms this by telling me his nextdoor neighbor still has power when this occurs, andso, he went and did the dreaded and now has a.. wait for it... socket outlet in his house that is supplied from nextdoors supply (with their permission ofcourse...). now apart from the obvious things wrong with doing such a thing, surely there is the potential of 415v should a fault possibly occur between the two houses.. scary stuff... :eek:mg_smile:

i dont really go with that,
just because 2 sockets on different phases can be touched simultaniously doesnt constitute a hazard in itself , and the use of 400v stickers is inaccurate when the max voltage at each accessory is 230.
where would you put the 400 stickers ? on the wall halfway between ?

Id agree with that, there totally separate, its only if there terminated within the same enclosure

Id agree with that, there totally separate, its only if there terminated within the same enclosure

Il re-iterate its not my personal opinion its a clear regulation .....read the 2nd paragraph of regulation 514.10.1....... its very clear and not even ambiguous the only reason so many people find this a strange reg' is because they are used to domestic and rarely see this situe where as i come across it often and yes the points have to be clearly marked either on or next to both or a notice in the mid point.

Il re-iterate its not my personal opinion its a clear regulation .....read the 2nd paragraph of regulation 514.10.1....... its very clear and not even ambiguous the only reason so many people find this a strange reg' is because they are used to domestic and rarely see this situe where as i come across it often and yes the points have to be clearly marked either on or next to both or a notice in the mid point.

yea just looked it up, didn't realise, its an interesting one, its if they can be touched at the same time so I guess if they're within about 6 foot of each other they should be labeled

[ElectriciansForums.net] 415v ~ in your house?
Something simple.
I look forward hearing from you. Thank you.

bertt.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] 415v ~ in your house?
    415VV.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Installed Dado in a school and there was two rings on two different phases. A bloke mentioned that it was possible to to get 400v between two sockets and the engineer said years ago it would have mattered but now it doesn't. Not sure if it's a regulation or not.

Read my posts earlier rmc86uk its not against regs but requires labelling if both points are within reach.

Yes can be very dodgy in commercial situations., especially in dado trunking where two sockets close together could have a computer connected across them and potential 400 volts, we always labell if this occurs. But always try to avoid this situation.

Yes can be very dodgy in commercial situations., especially in dado trunking where two sockets close together could have a computer connected across them and potential 400 volts, we always labell if this occurs. But always try to avoid this situation.

Usually this isn't an issue as the power is transformed and rectified and rarely causes issues even with printer on 1ph and computer on the other, its theoretical that the data cable could see distortion if the dc has excessive ripple as it will be out of phase with each other.

Its really only labelled for the safety of the competent person entering the outlets/points but this is my argument ... if they test correctly and are competent then they are safe anyway.

Heres one for you guys, not sure if you've ever given it a thought but an operator at my workplace today mentioned that he keeps having power dips / losses to every other house in his street, so obv i thought 'ok there is probably some issue with one of phases supplying your area'. anyway so he confirms this by telling me his nextdoor neighbor still has power when this occurs, andso, he went and did the dreaded and now has a.. wait for it... socket outlet in his house that is supplied from nextdoors supply (with their permission ofcourse...). now apart from the obvious things wrong with doing such a thing, surely there is the potential of 415v should a fault possibly occur between the two houses.. scary stuff... :eek:mg_smile:

Think yourself lucky he hasn't learnt the generator trick yet :rolleyes4:

"you plug this one in 'ere . . . . . and this one . . . . . ow @£$% that hurt!?!?! . . . No it's the other way round, I remember now" Sadly this has actually happened before my very eyes!

Usually this isn't an issue as the power is transformed and rectified and rarely causes issues even with printer on 1ph and computer on the other, its theoretical that the data cable could see distortion if the dc has excessive ripple as it will be out of phase with each other.

Its really only labelled for the safety of the competent person entering the outlets/points but this is my argument ... if they test correctly and are competent then they are safe anyway.

Hmm still dodgy though, get your point of course

Reply to 415v ~ in your house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net