???? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Morning guys,

Can someone clear this up for me please?

I am competent enough to issue a PIR although I am only registered as a DI with the NIC. Can I carry out a PIR for a "to let property".

I think I should be able to as I am "COMPETENT" enough.

Would really like to know your thoughts on this.

Depends on whether the landlord requires you to be registered with a (money making) scheme for issuing EICRs.
IF you are competent to do the EICR then you can do the EICR from a wiring regs point of view, so long as you are sure you would be able to back this up in a court (if it came to that).

If you know enough to do an EICR and can prove your competence then you can do them anywhere in any type of property, there's no law to say you can do them only in certain places

The only thing I would add, is make sure you allow sufficient time, and charge accordingly to do the job properly.

If you get suckered into doing an EICR for £75 it won't be work the paper its written on unless its a bedsit.

In Scotland you are not legaly required to be "Registered" although they do have a scheme where if you have a building warrant or as they say in England planning permission then they would like you to be registered but you can submit test documentation "by enquiry" or in other words the documentation should include a copy of any test meter calibration certificate and a front and back copy of your SJIB card that shows your grade and qualifications.

Yet again this because there is no legal mandate to be registered in fact I would say the scheme providors are walking a very thin line when
they say you should be registered. As I believe this goes against free trade and as been said before how can it be right when a 6 month sparky can get registered and in a sense rubbish the work of a guy who has been in the trade for 36 years has all his qualifications ?? but will not be held to ransom by a scheme providor who just wants your subs and will not police their own members where they will not expell them for bad workmanship because they have a conflict of interests ie they dont want to lose their subs. As for me I ask the customer who want the PIR ie is it an insurance company who insists the person doing the work is registered.

Yep the whole thing is a Bl**dy mess and I would like to se a test case on this as the schemies as I call them are getting too cosy with government and the media who are quite happy to give out spin to cover up what I call the cost cutting of big reistered companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
yet again we have instances where the 'schemes' are sowing the seeds of doubt into the minds of the good and decent......its all about competency here.....if you can spot non-conformancies and crap....then your good to go.....yes, some clients require you to be a scheme member but lets face it.....probably local authoritys more than owt else.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you guys help me out with a ball park figure for the EICR. Is a 2 bed terrace.

Im in Swansea.

Im guessing between £140 & £180

Could depend on how many circuits are in the CU, I got asked to do a 2 bed town house once, gave a price over the phone.. When I got there there were 18 circuits, nothing labeled ..

Your day rate applies - you need to allow time at home to write it up and make sure that the client understands that they are paying for your time onsite to do tests and investigation PLUS time at home to compile the report.
and this is it Murdoch......i would love to know how some of these characters thats going round manage 4 PIRs in a day..lol.....

and how many more times are we going to have to put up with these 'schemes' trying to sell 'PIR membership' and add ons like that.....not wanted..not needed.....

That will be when they can sort the EICR documentation out then ie NECIEC telling their guys yep its ok to break the regulations just keep using the old defunct PIR documentation until June 2012 . Talk about double standards

That will be when they can sort the EICR documentation out then ie NECIEC telling their guys yep its ok to break the regulations just keep using the old defunct PIR documentation until June 2012 . Talk about double standards
well no doubt we'l have tony cable up on stage next week in harrogate....would be a good point to put to em....

Good point TPES, but let's say it's six circuits mate. What you think fair price?

ross. your price of £140 - £180 sounds spot on for 6 circuits. towards the top end if it's awkward to access the CU.

The reason that the Schemes are letting people use the Non Compliant old forms is, that they have a lot to sell off yet, as they put Profit pefore Compliance with the regulations.

The Schemes have the old forms on sale in there over priced stores still.

Reply to ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net