9kW Free standing ceramic cooker | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 9kW Free standing ceramic cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

aliuk

Hi,

Currently I have a gas hob and electric oven which are both built in. Unfortunately, I have had to disconnect the gas hob because there is a gas leak and the gas connection is illegal as it uses a flexible hose and apparently for built in gas appliance it needs a solid copper pipe connection.

I've always liked the look of a flat electric hob so I thought I would replace it with a ceramic hob. I have had two local sparky come out and take a look. From what they have said is that I currently have a 6mm cable and a 32A fuse. They said if I wanted to just replace the hob I would need another dedicated circuit because of the power that is required. TBH I would like to replace the stove as well so I'm thinking of simply removing the old units and cutting out a section to fit a free standing unit.

One of the sparky said that it shouldn't be a problem if I can find a cooker that consumes a max of 9kw else alternatively I would need him to replace the 6mm with a 10mm. The one spark gave me a estimate of about £250 - £350 to install and cut out worktop etc to make space for the unit.

Does anyone know of a free standing ceramic cooker that consumes 9kW and is 60cm in width? I've tried google but have found a lot of sites either dont list the consumption or simply list the consumption for the main oven and grill.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

What does a T&E cable look like? The one that was poking out the wall was grey and kind of flat. As for finding qualified electrician I've simply been on sites like trustatrader.com and tried some that have high number of reviews.
no...dont do that...how about finding out if someone in here is close by.....

The thing is if I find a decent spark I've got plenty of other work that needs to be done like outside lights on both side of my mid terraced house. Wire up the garage and possibly another plug point in the house.

If your existing oven is under 3kw with diversity applied you can put it on an existing ring
Not sure that's wise.

3kW with diversity is 4.4kW without so you would be putting a 4.4kW oven on a 13A plug.

The recommendation is that fixed loads of over 2kW should be on a dedicated circuit.

seen loadsa ovens wired direct when theirs no need
Not sure what that means.

There is a need to connect loads appropriately.

A 32A cooker circuit will happily cope with up to 15kW as in the vast majority of installations.

Reply to 9kW Free standing ceramic cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net