A beast! | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss A beast! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ordered two of these bad boys today:

[ElectriciansForums.net] A beast!

Anyone using one of these beasts already? Are they as good as they're cracked up to be?

I have 2 24v Bosch sds and they are very good, I did try the 36v dewalt and that blew me away ho much better it was but it was silly money at the time.

Only complaint with Bosch was the battery's tended to die after 14 months, they wanted silly money for replacements. In the end went with cheap copies from eBay. I could get 4 generic for the cost of 1 Bosch.

Pretty solid drills though, both been dropped multiple times and has brushes changed and still are going strong.

I was looking into those new 18v SDS, particularly the Bosch although Makita do them as well - they look really good for the price and you can use the battery in a combi drill, impact driver, jigsaw, grinder etc, but I can't help thinking 18v seems a bit limp-wristed for drilling into concrete.
Anyone have any opinions on those? Should I just start my own thread?

I was looking into those new 18v SDS, particularly the Bosch although Makita do them as well - they look really good for the price and you can use the battery in a combi drill, impact driver, jigsaw, grinder etc, but I can't help thinking 18v seems a bit limp-wristed for drilling into concrete.

I've got an 18v makita sds, it's brilliant. More than enough power for what we need as electricians.

We brought 5 of them when they first came out , which must have been six or seven years ago now I think !? My one lasted about 6 months before going back for a major refurb under warranty but since has not missed a beat apart from a new charger ( they are not so keen on being run on a fluctuating generator supply) a year ago or so , one of the others lasted just over a year then got binned and I think another 2 went back for repair after about 3 years of service . But being heavily agriculturally based we have truly abused them to be fair , and I would happily buy more when needed again !

Cheers guys, seems I've made the right choice. They will mainly be for site work, the thing is I have three 110s at the moment but there's nothing worse than having to trapse across large distances with 110 leads just to drill one hole, especially when all three are in use! There really is a limit on how many 110 leads you can get in the vans. The other day I wrecked a lead with a scissor lift when I ran over the cord, that pi$$ed me off! Although the leads were everywhere like spaghetti junction. Work at heights and corded tools go together like a hog roast at a bar mitzvah! They will also come into their own I suppose in domestic for that one chase that needs doing. Saves getting the tranny out.

Convenience is the key here, but another thing that drives me mad is having to use an SDS when the power is off!

If these drills last 3 years they will pay for themselves ten times over I reckon! No more wasted time faffing around with leads!

I have the bosch and is the ideal sds for drilling sizes required for red and brown plugs. It'll also go through 18 inch stone walls with a 25mm bit without issues. Got the combi too so can swap the batteries as needed.

Bosch GBH 18V-EC SDS 3-function with BRUSHLESS motor (bare tool, L-BOXX) 18V SDS hammer, bare tool in size 2 L-BOXX

Trouble is you need a 110v one for site, along with a load of leads to trail around for the spreads to cake in crud and the chippies to abuse, then if you're working in a house you need to lug a transformer around.

This old chestnut again....
Not unless it's a specific site requirement. 230v with RCD protection is perfectly acceptable in most situations.

Reply to A beast! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net