A question on IP Codes. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss A question on IP Codes. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

moose

-
Reaction score
This is great , but can i add a comment about IP codes in Bs 7671, as I cant find for the following Principle if at all exists.

Work related a PVC Thro box or End box used to mount a rockrose, my employer, is under the impression that you have to seal the ends with, example 20mm Stuffing glands glued or silicone to seal the hole.

I would say the rockrose is above your head in a Tiled ceiling and is highly unlikly to ever cause any injury, also you have to get steps and remove the tiles with use of a tool ref : steps hehe :)

or can you guide me to the correct IP ref : in the Regs for this, i would be very gratefull..... Im thinking its going to be very expensive if it realy does apply.

(I did post this in Sticky sry it was in wrong place)

You mean you want to take the cable straight into the through box and your employer says you need a stuffing gland or similar on?...

I'd agree, what about stress on the terminations?...you need the gland to take the strain...

also you have to get steps and remove the tiles with use of a tool ref : steps hehe

I'm confused, are you talking about an embeded box (flush to ceiling) or a surface box?? Or maybe a joke??

If it's a surface mounted box and requires a high IP rating, then any open apertures need to be closed/sealed to conform with that IP rating, it's as simple as that!! Doesn't matter how high the box is...

The Common use for using a Rockrose is to place it on a End Box surface within the Ceiling grid.(PVC white conduit example) or maybe a through box(PVC white conduit example) depending on cable route passing, the cables would be held to the ceiling via allround band or Clipped to joists.

Joke, ehh, I have seen this method through out the UK and no stuffing gland was used in any of the above, is this all now part or the 17th Edition.

I would say there is no requirement for High IP ratings as its in a standard room with a Ceiling Grid and rockroses are above for the lights(office).

If you ask a question relating to IP ratings, one assumes your talking about a related area!!

Just because you've seen other installations with T&E entering/exiting a PVC conduit box or the like without suitable cable retaining fittings, doesn't mean that it's acceptable, it's NOT!!

I hope we are on the correct wave length here for what im talking about.

Well i did think it was for IP ratings, but now im thinking its for restraining the cable, and its NOT!, since when, thats the question im asking(16th or just 17th Edition), a cable restraint to the entrance of the box is the new thing to me and many others im guessing, who have looped there lights together this way for over 16years i know and many firms ive worked for nationaly, where is this in the regs please thats what im trying to find out, im very interested to know, one mans good practice is another mans bad practice, i just want to see the wording.

Thanks for the NOT! tho LMAO....teaching me NOT to do it hehe :)

I am and like to work as best as i can, but you can only work as good as the people you speak to and work with.

Reply to A question on IP Codes. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net