Absence of RCD - C2 and unsatisfactory EICR | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Absence of RCD - C2 and unsatisfactory EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sarah_b

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I was hoping someone could give a bit of advice because I've received the report back from the EICR I had carried out for my 1 bed flat and it's been rated as unsatisfactory due to a lack of RCD. I was going to just look into buying a new unit as advised because we're on a really tight budget and timeframe to try and get the sale of the flat through, but I've also been reading that no RCD shouldn't necessarily mean a fail. The unit is very old though so it may be that it report is correct but I'd really appreciate a bit of advice to make sure I'm not spending hundreds on a new unit for no reason. If I upload the report would someone be able to help? Thank you

Jesus was he drunk when he compiled that it is virtually illegible.
yes it is quite tricky to read! I obviously don't understand the technical elements but from what I can tell, the reason for the unsatisfactory rating is due to the absence of RCD and I've read that this shouldn't be a C2 as the new regs don't need to be met retrospectively.

Hang on......there's RCD times on that sheet

Ah, OK, worked it out, he's referencing the three heater circuits. Not a C2 in my book as they were perfectly compliant when installed as they're dedicated circuits

Can you post a photo of your CU (consumer unit = fuse box).

It says a lack of RCD on sockets but there is test results for one RCD listed !?
Yes sure

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Absence of RCD - C2 and unsatisfactory EICR
    CU.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 75
Personally, I'm seeing nothing here that strikes me as unsatisfactory. It's not 'new', clearly, but then nor am I and I'm still in perfect working order.

Bottom line here is that I can see what your inspector was thinking but I think it's over the top and in practice you've nothing to worry about. There are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of installation just like yours up and down the land.

Personally, I'm seeing nothing here that strikes me as unsatisfactory. It's not 'new', clearly, but then nor am I and I'm still in perfect working order.

Bottom line here is that I can see what your inspector was thinking but I think it's over the top and in practice you've nothing to worry about. There are HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of installation just like yours up and down the land.
Thank you very much for your help. What would you recommend in terms of next steps? The person buying the flat is asking for the report, and I'm sure if we share this, they're going to be concerned about the safety. Do I probably need to pay for a new report with a different electrician? I'll try going back to the person who did this one first, but I imagine he wouldn't change a report after completing it?

my brother had a similar one done. the guy quoted him £600 for a new board and meter tails all because his lights didnt have RCD protection... this was correct but what the guy had failed to see was the lights were on an rcbo and the only circuit unprotected was a single dedicated circuit for the boiler. he wouldn't back down so I got a free weekend away in return for a test and any remedials. i see it a lot! i'm all for taking out old boards if they are genuinely overloaded or unsafe but theres no point when something is still operational and safe. I'd get someone else in myself..

First of all I would go back to the original electrician and ask about the C2 coding for the sockets, given they all are on the single RCD you already have. Also the best practice guide #4 has C3 for no RCD anyway, unless it is special locations (e.g. feeding bathroom or outdoor sockets, etc), see page 14 of this:
https://www.----------------------------/media/2149/bpg4-1.pdf

If the concern is an electric heater are in the bathroom and no RCD or adequate supplementary bonding then they might have a point, but otherwise it seems to be a mistake.

Some folk will accept queries and revise the report, others are stubborn so-and-sos, but try that before spending money on a 2nd EICR or looking at corrective work.

First of all I would go back to the original electrician and ask about the C2 coding for the sockets, given they all are on the single RCD you already have. Also the best practice guide #4 has C3 for no RCD anyway, unless it is special locations (e.g. feeding bathroom or outdoor sockets, etc), see page 14 of this:
https://www.----------------------------/media/2149/bpg4-1.pdf

If the concern is an electric heater are in the bathroom and no RCD or adequate supplementary bonding then they might have a point, but otherwise it seems to be a mistake.

Some folk will accept queries and revise the report, others are stubborn so-and-sos, but try that before spending money on a 2nd EICR or looking at corrective work.
Thank you very much, this is really useful. We don't have any sockets in the bathroom, other than a shaver socket, so it looks like it should be C3. Will go back to him and hopefully get a response. I never thought I'd learn so much about electrics in a day!

I never thought I'd learn so much about electrics in a day!
Good job you didn't ask about ways to gain a hangover....... ;) Glad this place has been able to help, do let us know how this pans out.

Reply to Absence of RCD - C2 and unsatisfactory EICR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net