Advice for Mini Oven | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Advice for Mini Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kez 8

-
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have a mini oven /grill. The maker is ~Severin , I think they are maybe a German company... Received the oven, brand new via Ebay....It is a nice looking / quality machine however it has a two pin plug....
Can I use a reguler three pin plastic converter so I can plug in here in the UK, or would this be dangerous for an oven ? It is a 1500 W ....

Oh you don't know the half of it mate ! :32: ... Had to bin all my food ....

I've been reduced to munching on the grass... along with the cows and sheep ... :sad_smile:

Any excuse to be near the sheep... :)

Just choose an option and go for it.
If it does not work then you can choose another option later.

Not so simplez ! ...... Here's my latest response to the Ebay Guy ....

" Though what you say is correct I am told that as the cable on my oven is made by a Chinese manufacturer , it is possible they might not be aware of European Law.

I am in significant dillema over this because, once I chop the 2 pin off, There is ~No, going Back !

IF, the coloured cords turn out ~Not, to conform to European Specification, but instead are a non typical array of colours, I am done for...

There would then be no safe way of affixing a three pin to foreign colour wires without employing a savvy professional to come and do it, which would cost me a small fortune, just in petrol mileage alone ! ( I live out in the sticks )

Thus the oven would be rendered useless, and might as well be trashed. I just ~ Do Not, want to take that risk ...

So the only alternative, is either your Cable adaptor or a regular Shuko, flip top, plug adaptor.

Could you tell me, please, which of the two, in your estimation, would be the ~ Most, reliable, , ie in avoiding the contacts getting hot, which is my main concern...

I can see from the spec sheet that the cable takes 300 / 500 V, which, even to my novice intellect sounds pretty impressive...

Also, in that the cable is designed, specifically, for converting an extension cord , several pieces of garden equipment being used at the same time, could well, safely, exceed the comparatively small load ,1500 W, of my oven, Yes ? "

Owing to your desire not to make any physical changes then your option is reduced to fitting an adapter onto the supplied plug.
Make sure the adapter fits the socket on your machine.
Make sure it is an earthed adapter.
Make sure it can take at least 10A.
Make sure the adapter can take a standard plug top fuse (most do).

If your ebay seller sells an adapter that fits your plug, is earthed and rated for at least 10A then it should be OK.

You can check on the cable colours without chopping off the plug, just take the cover off and have a peek. .

IF I could have done, I would have done ! I am not, ~Totally, dense .. :sad3: The 2 pin is a rigid molded plug, there is ~No Way of getting into it ....

Hey, btw, I like your " Man Who Fell To Earth " Avatar.... are you too from another planet ? , I sure am... This limited plane of existance is so darn... well, Limiting ! I cannot believe I am here spouting on about a mini oven.... I mean, there are entire Universes to explore out there, a multitude of vast spinning galaxies within which to express our beingness, Eh, Stan ! :shades_smile:

Last edited:
Owing to your desire not to make any physical changes then your option is reduced to fitting an adapter onto the supplied plug.
Make sure the adapter fits the socket on your machine.
Make sure it is an earthed adapter.
Make sure it can take at least 10A.
Make sure the adapter can take a standard plug top fuse (most do).

If your ebay seller sells an adapter that fits your plug, is earthed and rated for at least 10A then it should be OK.

...... Back to "Human " guise.... :seeya:

Will certainly bare this in mind, Richard, though Y'know, that Ebay guy sure is ~Emphatic, about
the European Law...... He absolutely insists as follows :

[h=3]" If China is sending products to Europe then they MUST conform to the wiring colour codes, especially if they are sending it to a German company, who would have VERY strict quality assurance. "[/h]
I think in the end I'm gonna call heads or tails and flip a coin.....

It's the ~ ONLY way out of this Battle of the Electrical Giants .....:sad_smile:

Drivin me round the twist, if I weren't round it already ! ..... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reply to Advice for Mini Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net