Advice on domestic installer course/training URGENT PLEASE!!! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Advice on domestic installer course/training URGENT PLEASE!!! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

M.s. Rahman

Hi everyone

i am looking into a career change
i am currently a teacher
i was thinking of becoming a good and qaulified electrician.
for those that have become and that havent if you could give me some advice or some guidance i woulde really appreciate it, my concerns are the following:
- should i become an electrician through a training providor such as tradeskills4u,EC4U (electrician courses 4 u), electricaltrainingcourses.com (ETC.COM).... if not are there any other avenues ???

- i found these course providors tradeskills4u, EC4U, ETC.COM i wanted to know, has anyone had any epxerience with them ...are they good/bad, is it worth it ??? etc

the avergae cast for a bronze domestic installer is £2500

I would pretty much agree with what everyone has said Rahman.

I did a short course, although it wasn't 5 weeks it was 6 months. On completion there is absolutely no way that I had enough knowledge (let alone zero actual experience) to start work in someones home. I spent quite a bit of time practising in my own home, pretty much taking it apart and also I was lucky enough to spend some time with a qualified electrician. I then started very, very small jobs in peoples homes and only then if I felt that I completely understood what I was doing.

You just don't learn anywhere near enough (perhaps 10-15%) of what you need to know to carry out domestic electrics.

If you are dead set on leaving teaching and becoming a 'domestic installer' (we are not electricians), then I would suggest contacting your local college as they may offer the same course as you have seen at tradeskills for you. The course at the college is likely to be longer (perhaps part time in the evenings) which will give you much more time during the course to actually take in what you are learning and also spend time practising. My local college now does the same course as above over a year (2 evening p/week).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
thankyou happyhippydad

While I was doing a course we had a guy do the same (career change) despite us all having years experience in the industry and thinking no way he can do this. He has in fact managed to get an electrician to take him on. The real snag with a proscribed route into electrics is the portfolio of electrical tasks you need signed off which means you HAVE to be in the industry already and the pay is usually pea nuts for what is hard graft and dangerous (potentially) work. JIB rates for apprentice are below £5 ph. Could you survive on that. Best thing is to advertise in wholesalers etc. as willing slave you might get lucky and get paid then think about course in a couple of years?

Hi

I've done one of these courses (well currently doing anyway), and while I'm quite comfortable with my understanding of electrics and electrical systems, I'm more than aware I'm lacking in being able to turn theoretical knowledge in to practical application, is there anything any time served electricians can recommend doing in order to gain experience? (other than asking around local sparks for experience, I'm hitting that one hard already)

I'm not looking for a short cut in to a trade like some probably are, I need a change in career later in life, I know these courses aren't fit for the purpose they're sold as, I'm just looking for a step in to a new career and could do with some constructive advice?

County Councils require you to be 17th edition and most decent sub contractors want you to be aswell. Domestic installers are like cancer of the industry. My advice would be to become fully qualified, maybe 4 years but then you join the elite.

Hi

I've done one of these courses (well currently doing anyway), and while I'm quite comfortable with my understanding of electrics and electrical systems, I'm more than aware I'm lacking in being able to turn theoretical knowledge in to practical application, is there anything any time served electricians can recommend doing in order to gain experience? (other than asking around local sparks for experience, I'm hitting that one hard already)

I'm not looking for a short cut in to a trade like some probably are, I need a change in career later in life, I know these courses aren't fit for the purpose they're sold as, I'm just looking for a step in to a new career and could do with some constructive advice?
might be a good idea to register with agencies as a sparks' mate. also sign up with indeed, jobrapido, trovit jobs. these send you job alerts via email suitable to what you specify in your area.

I
lol no im just doing history, geography, art and R.E.... english wasnt my thing :laugh3:
I've allways fancied giving teaching a go but after raising four boys and seeing how much work Teachers have to get through i think i'll give it a miss. I can't stand all the paperwork i have to do at present so wouldn't stand a chance with teaching! Although working with young people can be great, it's a shame good teachers have so much pressure on their shoulders.

Reply to Advice on domestic installer course/training URGENT PLEASE!!! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net