Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the forum and would much appreciate your opinions, I'm wiring a power radial circuit for one double socket for a customer, however part of the run (2 meters) will run on the outside of the house and then back inside, up from the ground floor to the first floor. The customer has specified that they do not want conduit running outside the wall so thats 2.5 twin and earth out of the question but I was wondering are there any alternatives to using armoured SWA on an external wall for power for sockets?

Also they've ruled out chasing the wall on the inside due to a big ornate feature on the wall.
Thanks in advance,

Mark

So would I. Slim, unobtrusive, impact resistant, UV resistant etc. If 2.5 T+E was adequate for the circuit then 2L1.5 MI will probably be suitable, only 7mm diameter including PVC oversheath. It can be glanded within the depth of the wall, into a coupler bushed into a rear knockout of a flush metal socket box. Using an earth-tail seal overcomes the need to access the gland nut to prove maintainability of the CPC connection. No-brainer in my book.

I agree but the problem is the cost, it's only oddballs like you and I who have stocks and offcuts of this stuff on the shelf and buying it new is just ridiculous now.
Plus I don't do general domestic work like this, and I assume you probably don't do too much of it either.

Hi guys, update: i went to 3 wholesalers intending to get myself some Hi tuff/NYY-J and all i got from all three suppliers was a blank stare and that they would have to order it in specially, ended up using t+e in conduit as the customer wanted it done ASAP... at least next time i know to order in advance.

Yeah most wholesalers I go in don't stock it, and they usually try to sell me SY control cable instead....always have a bit of 2.5 and 1.5 NYY in my lock up now, and order more from TLC when I am running low.

Reply to Alternative cable to use instead of armoured when running external power circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net