Alternative to Envirovent for axial/in-line extract fans | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Alternative to Envirovent for axial/in-line extract fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

happysteve

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Eh up :)

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of axial and in-line timer fans, as alternative to Envirovent SIL100T / SILMV 250/100T (or SILMV 160/100T)? Requirements:

• No manufacturer's requirement for 3A fuse
  • Reasonably quiet
  • Good quality more important than cheap as chips
  • Not too ugly (axial version)
  • Back-draft shutter (axial version)

---
Back-story (if you're interested, otherwise ignore)

I've been installing Envirovent fans for 5 years or so, probably about 10-15 SILMV250/100T in-line "beast" fans, a handful of the smaller SILMV160/100T "mini-beast" in-line fans, and probably 30-40 SIL100T axial fans. They're ok - quiet, and there's nothing in the manufacturer's instructions about requiring a 3A fuse.

Client who I installed a beast fan 4.5 years ago reported it making a horrible noise, and I found the propeller had a massive crack in it. Contacted Envirovent to see if they could send me a replacement part. They advised they don't have these parts as spares, so to contact the place I bought it from. Which I did. But they have no idea where they bought it from, as their accounting software doesn't go back that far - sometimes they get stuff from distributors, sometimes they get them from online retailers if it's cheaper. So they can't claim on warranty either. They offered to go halves with me on a replacement. I've got no desire to fall out with the wholesaler, and consider their offer quite reasonable.

I contacted Envirovent again, but they're ignoring me. So that's that.

Thanks for looking! :)

FWIW, I have in my notes that Greenwood Airvac, and Airflow extractors do not need fusing down when installed on a 6A circuit, so they may be worth investigating. Every Manrose extractor that I have come across has needed fusing down to 3A, and I have in my notes that 'some' Xpelair extractors need fusing down to max 5A, annoyingly (I almost never fit Xpelair though, so it may not be true of all of them).

Like yourself, I have usually installed SIL100T's as standard axial fans, and have found them to be very good where the run of ducting is short. For an inline extractor, I think the Manrose MF100T is better than the SILMV160/100T, but unfortunately needs a 3A fuse. Sorry I can't be of more help!

FWIW, I have in my notes that Greenwood Airvac, and Airflow extractors do not need fusing down when installed on a 6A circuit, so they may be worth investigating. Every Manrose extractor that I have come across has needed fusing down to 3A, and I have in my notes that 'some' Xpelair extractors need fusing down to max 5A, annoyingly (I almost never fit Xpelair though, so it may not be true of all of them).

Like yourself, I have usually installed SIL100T's as standard axial fans, and have found them to be very good where the run of ducting is short. For an inline extractor, I think the Manrose MF100T is better than the SILMV160/100T, but unfortunately needs a 3A fuse. Sorry I can't be of more help!
That's very helpful, thanks for replying! :)

I've been fitting Blauberg Calm range of 'silent' fans since trying a couple of humidistat units in my own house. No requirement to fuse down in manufacturer's instructions and have been trouble free. I've had one minor issue and the online wholsesaler sent a new unit and didn't care about getting the old unit back! Prices vary considerably online, and they aren't the cheapest out there, but they're pretty quiet and aren't causing me problems.

I've been fitting Blauberg Calm range of 'silent' fans since trying a couple of humidistat units in my own house. No requirement to fuse down in manufacturer's instructions and have been trouble free. I've had one minor issue and the online wholsesaler sent a new unit and didn't care about getting the old unit back! Prices vary considerably online, and they aren't the cheapest out there, but they're pretty quiet and aren't causing me problems.
Thanks very much, also a good tip :)

Reply to Alternative to Envirovent for axial/in-line extract fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net