Am I "Qualified" a electrician ? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Am I "Qualified" a electrician ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi just looking for some advice.

I have c&g in:-
2360 part 1
2360 part 2
2377 pat testing.
3666 optical fibre.

The 2360 part 1 & 2 are 5 years apart.
The part 2 I have
assignments part 2 pass
Installation, commissioning,and fault diagnosis credit
Electrical, science and principles credit.
I believe I need a completion cert for full part 2.

What would be my next step?

In my day the 2360 came in A), B), C). B and C i seem to remember came in as a single examination taken in two parts... Maybe someone here can verify that or not??
I would also state that the 2360 was superior to the 2330 that replaced it, but that's my opinion. lol!!

At least in those day's examinations were just that. No multiple choice questions then, all were set questions that you had to know and provide the calculations and/or descriptive answers to substantiate. I don't think i've ever sat an open book examination ever!! lol!! And another thing, in those early day's calculators were not allowed in the examination room either!!

You lot don't realise just how easy you have it these day's...lol!!

Aye .... because calculators hadn't been invented then. It was all done with an Abacus and slide rule. ;)

Upvote 0
236 came in parts A ( 1st year ) , B ( 2nd year ) and C ( optional 1 year Technicians course)
2360 ( introduced around 1990 ) came in parts 1 , 2 & 3 (C) , which is the course i completed at tech.
written exams for each year were indeed in 2 parts , 4-5 hours in total from what i can barely remember lol

The 236 part 2 was over 2 years when I did it, part 1= 1 year, part 2= 2 years and AM2 at the end of it, then 12 months on site after to gain electricians status, Some of us had a go at the C certificate as well, and that was 2 years also, no idea whats what today. To clarify The 3 years for parts 1 and 2 at college was block Courses and several weeks at college then several weeks on site, too and frowing.

Upvote 0
In my day the 2360 came in A), B), C). B and C i seem to remember came in as a single examination taken in two parts... Maybe someone here can verify that or not??
I would also state that the 2360 was superior to the 2330 that replaced it, but that's my opinion. lol!!

At least in those day's examinations were just that. No multiple choice questions then, all were set questions that you had to know and provide the calculations and/or descriptive answers to substantiate. I don't think i've ever sat an open book examination ever!! lol!! And another thing, in those early day's calculators were not allowed in the examination room either!!

When they first allowed calculators in the exam room you still had to show all the working out to get the full marks, I remember my first calculator cost me £50 a few years later I was given a more powerful one by a rep looking for business

i'd be hard pressed to argue with you e54. i did the 2330 and it was very easy. even so, when i was at college, i saw lads who were clearly out of their depth but, still managed to blag their way through the exams. personally, i'd do away with the multiple choice exams; when you dumb down to the levels that city and guilds have, it can only serve to harm the electrical industry.

i read somewhere that the 2360 was scrapped because it was too hard. then, i think they replaced it with the 2351(?) which wasn't well received by the industry. so, they tried again with the 2330 (apparently better than 2351 but not as good as 2360). now they're doing it again, with the 2391 - scrapping it because it's 'too hard'.
scrapping something because it's too hard doesn't make much sense to me, especially when you're dealing with electricity. the more cynical side of me tends to think it's more to do with money but any short term monetary gains they make, will be far outweighed by the long term negative effects that it has on the electrical industry. saturating the country with sub-standard, under trained electricians is a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately it's not PC to tell someone they have failed these days so they dumb down the exams so the less able can meet the grade

I think the 2391 was killed off for a few reasons not least that computers can't easily mark a full written exam.

At a time when this industry is getting more complex we have "competent" persons schemes that make it legitimate to operate as an electrician with very little knowledge especially of older installations and rarely seen these days cable types (Pyro to name one)

236 came in parts A ( 1st year ) , B ( 2nd year ) and C ( optional 1 year Technicians course)
2360 ( introduced around 1990 ) came in parts 1 , 2 & 3 (C) , which is the course i completed at tech.
written exams for each year were indeed in 2 parts , 4-5 hours in total from what i can barely remember lol

The 2360 was introduced around 1978 / 9 part way through my apprenticeship so I ended up with an "A" cert, a "Part 2" cert and a "C" cert. To my knowledge they never turned the "C" cert into a Part 3. The "C" cert was killed off in 2006 or 7 as the pass rate had fallen too low for it to continue

Upvote 0

Why are the powers that be dumbing down our industry by doing away with all the proper qualifications. Personally I would like to see the standards maintained. Changing names / numbers of time honoured exams and making them easier is not the way to go. We need and should have high standards and with that goes a high rate of failure.

Upvote 0
Why are the powers that be dumbing down our industry by doing away with all the proper qualifications. Personally I would like to see the standards maintained. Changing names / numbers of time honoured exams and making them easier is not the way to go.

May be we need a campaign to stop C&G messing around with the exams and qualifications

We need and should have high standards and with that goes a high rate of failure.

I agree with your comment entirely but as I said previously failure as well as winning is not allowed because social workers have decided it is not acceptable to label people as a failure or subject them to competition which they have little or no chance of winning

You only have to look at the senior management of the Ascertiva Group (NICEIC) to see why this industry is going down hill little or no electrical knowledge at the top level putting forward ideas to government and other high level bodies with only one motive increasing the balance sheet to improve their PRP

Upvote 0

Reply to Am I "Qualified" a electrician ? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net