American Phase Colours | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss American Phase Colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In standard MC conduit wiring for 3 phases you have Black Red and Blue for Phases and White / light grey for Neutral with a gren core for Grounding.
I have seen a gold(ish) colour core in some older American Videos which I also assume is an old phase colour ?

There is NO NEC color code except for green, white, gray and the orange identifier for the 120/240 3 phase services. Which are rarely used any more.

Motorola uses BROWN, YELLOW and ORANGE for 120/208v
BLACK,RED and BLUE for 277/480v Which is backward from what most people use in my area.

The National Electrical Code (NEC) states that neutral conductors must be white or gray, whereas ground wires must be green or bare copper. All the other colors are more general, industry-accepted or standardized rules.Jun 21, 2021

Just another one of those grey areas that the NEC had avoided dealing with.

There is NO NEC color code except for green, white, gray and the orange identifier for the 120/240 3 phase services. Which are rarely used any more.

Motorola uses BROWN, YELLOW and ORANGE for 120/208v
BLACK,RED and BLUE for 277/480v Which is backward from what most people use in my area.
I never said that the NEC required these colors. If you used the color coding that you said in industrial and commercial jobs you would probably get run off. We are not in Motorola.

On 480 volt 3 phase power then use brown, orange and yellow for phases. On 208/102 three phase the phase arrangement is black, red and blue. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum. Good luck
Thanks, the panel I am looking at manufacturing is single phase with receptacles 20A 120V and 30A 230V. Would you know if the switchgear has to be UL certified?

I never said that the NEC required these colors. If you used the color coding that you said in industrial and commercial jobs you would probably get run off. We are not in Motorola.
Hi Guys,

The reason why I ask I am UK manufacturer we have to build a temporary power panel to support a solar generator that is being shipped to the US for trials on a construction site. I am finding it difficult to find information and specifications of the type of receptacles used on construction types with flexible temporary cables to plug into the distribution panel. I have been told it will all be single phase. I have looked on trinity power website a rental company and they hire the type of distribution panel we will build. Do you guys have any knowldege of such.
many thanks for help

Some areas of the USA are heavy sticklers into a UL listings. Some are not.
You need to know where the panel is being installed and then check with the local authority. I sure hope you plan on using USA manufactures for the panel and outlets.
Some of the IEC stuff looks very foreign to inspectors.
If your original question had stated single phase would have cleared up your intentions.

Some areas of the USA are heavy sticklers into a UL listings. Some are not.
You need to know where the panel is being installed and then check with the local authority. I sure hope you plan on using USA manufactures for the panel and outlets.
Some of the IEC stuff looks very foreign to inspectors.
If your original question had stated single phase would have cleared up your intentions.
Hi, Thanks for the heads up, a question around the NEC does this comply across all states in the US. When you suggested the local authority for the state it will be installed. Would you be able to point me in the direction if I identify the state.

Hi, Thanks for the heads up, a question around the NEC does this comply across all states in the US. When you suggested the local authority for the state it will be installed. Would you be able to point me in the direction if I identify the state.
What state are you referring to? You can probably google and for example NC Board of examiners of electrical contractors or NCBEEC. As far as I know all states have to have panels or equipment UL listed. There is engineering companies in every state that have licenses to UL list it. Good luck

What state are you referring to? You can probably google and for example NC Board of examiners of electrical contractors or NCBEEC. As far as I know all states have to have panels or equipment UL listed. There is engineering companies in every state that have licenses to UL list it. Good luck
Thanks for the reply, I will get busy. much appreciated

Reply to American Phase Colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net