Any recommendations for some cable shears? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Any recommendations for some cable shears? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I want to be able to cut through tails more easily. At present I am nibbling away at them with my side cutters which takes time and also doesn't leave a very clean cut.

I borrowed the builders cable shears and they literally just sliced though 16mm tails quickly and neatly. I have a set of bolt cutters but these are too big so I was looking for any recommendations on a set of cable shears?

Cheers all

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/knipex-cable-shears-vde-certified-grip-165mm/3697f

I use the above and much prefer them to old my CK as posted above by others.

Yes they are quite small, but no problems cutting 25mm tails. It actually makes them a lot more comfortable to use. I find them really useful for stripping tails quickly and neatly too

Thanks all for the posts.

Usually I pay the higher price and go for quality. However, I'm not cutting tails on a daily basis, probably only 2 or 3 times a month so i have taken a gamble on the pair that Tel mentioned in his post. Not many good reviews so I could regret it! If they are no good then I'll splash out on the knipex ones sold at Screwfix.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

[ElectriciansForums.net] Any recommendations for some cable shears?

If you get this type, you can reverse the handles to form a stripping knife. Quite handy at times.

The 'neilson' pair that tel recommended have arrived. Unfortunately they chop through 25mm with ease. I can only hope they wear out quickly so I can justify buying the lovely knipex ones :(

The sad thing is that I obviously wrote the above post in jest, however thinking about it I really do hope they wear out so I can get the knipex. Blimey, we love out tools!

The sad thing is that I obviously wrote the above post in jest, however thinking about it I really do hope they wear out so I can get the knipex. Blimey, we love out tools!

You could speed this urge along by saving your new tool for use as an alternative to safe isolation.

cut a pair of live tails with the cheapos. then you can justify the knipex.

Reply to Any recommendations for some cable shears? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net