Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've recently been receiving lots of iffy looking emails asking to send me pics of jobs that want doing. I've ignored some which are just too vague and suspicious but just replied to one which sounds more credible. Just wondering if there is a new wave of scams directed at electricians or whether I'm just getting paranoid. Anyone else getting these and has anyone been stung?

Oh and another useful nugget... if you get calls from the area code 01632 you can safely ignore them.

01632 is a fake area code reserved for use by TV programs etc. It does not exist and if it is displayed on caller ID, it's a good indication the caller ID is being faked. Only non-reputable companies will fake their number to be a non-existent number :)

Well the plot thickens
Monday morning and I've had a reply to one of those crappy emails asking me to "download" all the documents and a similar download url to what SparkyChick said
https: //plightgen.xyz/Ivorycoast-Docplans/img/17/1
Reported Justinlewis0009@ outlook.com to outlook
Oh and I've added a couple spaces in the above so no one accidently clicks on them

So seeing as how the top level domain .xyz seems to be popular with these scum bags... this is the website of the company that operates it:-

.xyz Official Registry Operator Website - https://nic.xyz/

They have an abuse policy and an easy means for reporting it. The domain I reported to them was taken off-line quite quickly.

And @rhitey , I commend your efforts reporting them. Thank you :)

The more people that take the initiative and report these scum bags, the more difficult it is for them to make their scam profitable. Every domain costs money, every email account costs money at some point. The more they end up out of pocket, the less inclined they will be to continue their scam.

Same here, offers with an attachment or link to click. Here’s a receipt one I received....

Hello I got your details online would like to get a quote for a full electrical job at my property and was wondering if you would be available to replace the fuse box and maybe just check the electrics for me? I may need a few sockets installed as well and also carry out some major renovation works there.

Kindly get back to me so i can send you pics of the property and see if you are available to carry out the work.

Pauline Bradley

Hmm got another dodgy looking one but with my town in the wording now and coming from a yahoo.fr email address

Hi could we arrange a quote in Yeovil for some electrical work ,

Installation External hook up plug from house to connect to a caravan trailer , fitting of extra sockets, ceiling light and maybe a new consumer unit .

I can do every day early morning .

Thanks

jonathann

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I had one from Paul Gascoigne, [email protected]

"Hello,

the smoke alarm in my house is making an intermittent beep continuously.
It has no battery,is wired to the mains but was installed less than 2 years.

When will you be free to have a look at the pictures with a view to repair or replacing
as necessary ?

Many thanks."

The worrying thing is it sounds pretty convincing compared to some of the phishing emails (or have I just missed a job :oops:). What do they hope to get from this though?

Reply to Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net