appliance flex to t&e | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss appliance flex to t&e in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adam.h

For integrated / fixed appliances, having a fused switch spur can you then run t&e to a ko box behind the appliance and connect the flex to t&e via a terminal block? covering with a blanking plate.

What does the appliance instructions state. It might state that it has to have a BS1363 plug-top.

Yooj

Most instructions also state " if in doubt consult a qualified electrician"

As a plug top is an accepted method of connection for those less qualified, I don't see a problem with a fused spur unit and a flex outlet plate as an alternative method of connection

Most instructions also state " if in doubt consult a qualified electrician"

As a plug top is an accepted method of connection for those less qualified, I don't see a problem with a fused spur unit and a flex outlet plate as an alternative method of connection

Ha, ha, true enough! :)

If for whatever reason the appliance requires servicing at a later date by a 'service engineer', and said service engineer is not a spark, would he, or could he disconnect the flex from the spur?

Yooj

Given that a switched fused spur would provide double pole isolation if the fuse removed and it is switched off, the flex outlet plate would be dead and there would be no hazard to the service engineer. The flex outlet is not much different to wiring a plug either can be wired wrong!!

Not if the engineer had to remove the appliance, i.e. disconnecting the flex from the spur would require isolation of circuit and removal of the face plate to disconnect the flex, all of which could be achieved by the removal of plug-top from socket.
As you have already stated "... a plug top is an accepted method of connection (and isolation) for those less qualified" and since within the appliances lifetime, it is likely to be maintained far more by those who are not electricians, then I would say it is a poor design if it were not to provide adequate methods of isolation for repair and maintenance.

Yooj

disconnecting the flex from the spur would require isolation of circuit and removal of the face plate to disconnect the flex
Yooj

The flex is not connected to the spur!! see the first post!!. Disconnecting the flex from a flex outlet plate would not need the whole circuit isolating as the spur would isolate the supply to the flex outlet plate

ring into fused switched spur then down to a flex plate which then connects to the appliance. So means of isolation are ther from the fused switch. Same princible as having a plug but this is wired to a fixed plate. rather then a removable plug.

Fused spur or flex outlet plate...the point being that there is a requirement to to disconnect and reconnect cabling into terminals. Something I would think a service engineer would unlikely do.

This is the reason that all appliances which are fed via a plug-top have a moulded plug-top fitted by law to the flex, mitigating the need to cut the plug-top off, strip the flex and connect to a terminal block.

That aside, I stand by the fact that doing it this way is a poor design simply because a plug-top is an accepted method of isolation for lay-persons, there is no need to disconnect cables for maintenance etc, and a flex outlet plate solution is a more expensive one than a socket-based solution since you now need to factor in the flex outlet and an FCU instead of just a socket and DP switch both of which are cheaper than the respective alternatives.

You have to ask yourself what is being achieved with FCU and flex-outlet method in terms of safety and functionality...I would say the nett gain is zero, or less than zero, since you now have the added time to wire in the appliance instead of just plugging it in. Then you have the nett-loss for the cost of ownership, since any subsequent maintenance/repair which requires the appliance to be removed/replaced now needs it to be disconnected rather than just unplugged.

Whilst the FCU/Flex outlet is not an issue, it just unnecessarily adds costs and complicates installation for no quantifiable benefit.

Yooj

they are fixed appliances, so if you used just a 13A socket you have no means of isolation until you remove the appliance. If it is wired into a flex outlet which is supplied from a switched fused spur then you can isolate the supply first and then remove the appliance.

But you would use a DP appliance switch above the counter top (still cheaper than a FCU) which isolates the socket...remove the appliance, remove the plug. Quicker, cheaper, more practicable.

Yooj

This is the reason that all appliances which are fed via a plug-top have a moulded plug-top fitted by law to the flex, mitigating the need to cut the plug-top off, strip the flex and connect to a terminal block.

And I always thought the plug top law came in to cut down on the number of badly connected and wrongly fused plug tops fitted by joe public

That aside, I stand by the fact that doing it this way is a poor design simply because a plug-top is an accepted method of isolation for lay-persons, there is no need to disconnect cables for maintenance etc, and a flex outlet plate solution is a more expensive one than a socket-based solution since you now need to factor in the flex outlet and an FCU instead of just a socket and DP switch both of which are cheaper than the respective alternatives.

Don't agree that your method is cheaper, accessory costs I have looked at the FCU / FO are cheaper than your arrangement. Not all equipment is required to have plug tops fitted by law therefore adding the cost of a plug top and additional connection time increases the costs of your method. While you may feel it is poor design, without the full details of the installation and design reasoning it is difficult to say

You have to ask yourself what is being achieved with FCU and flex-outlet method in terms of safety and functionality...I would say the nett gain is zero, or less than zero, since you now have the added time to wire in the appliance instead of just plugging it in. Then you have the nett-loss for the cost of ownership, since any subsequent maintenance/repair which requires the appliance to be removed/replaced now needs it to be disconnected rather than just unplugged.

Whilst the FCU/Flex outlet is not an issue, it just unnecessarily adds costs and complicates installation for no quantifiable benefit.

Given the number of plugs and sockets in inaccessible places I have replaced due to overheating / burning over the years I think that hard wiring does have it's advantages and is a design plus. Given the reliability of appliances the gains / losses of each method are negligable and could be argued for a long time

Reply to appliance flex to t&e in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net