Apprentice , looking for tools. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Apprentice , looking for tools. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stranded

Hi all,

I'm hopefully going to be starting an apprenticeship in the nest few months, to become a fully qualified sparky.

Want to start gathering some tools together, and i have a rough idea already, but would like proffs who use the tools every day to give me some idea, as i dont want to buy things i wont necessarily need, or i will miss out something that i will need every day.

Already got a decent multimeter and a set of Wera Kraftform VDE Screwdrivers.

All the best,

Mike.

and good quality snips, CK, bahco, pay £30+ for a pair. thnings like hacksaws, hammers, buy cheap.

Depending where you will be working get a cheaper set of drivers too...Some places you will work in you will find expensive tools are expensive because they can magically grow legs and walk off :eek: I have a tote I carry with cheaper kit in it, or good stuff on its last legs.

Start with the basics and buy new tools as you go along. Some advice that I think someone on here kindly told me when I started out was if you need to borrow it twice you should probably own one. This obviously applies more to hand tools over power tools when your starting out.

To start with you'll probably manage with what you've said and:
Tool Bag - Everyone's different, I have this one.
pliers
snips/sidecutters
hammer
measuring tape
spirit level
Hacksaw & Junior Hacksaw
Stanley Knife &/or Electrician's Knife

Remember to also think about pencils, permanent markers, etc. & PPE (Personal Protective Equipment - should be provided but you might have to buy yourself a pair of steel toe caps).

Best person to ask would be your journeyman/boss (when the time comes).

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Speaking of pencils i wouldn't bother buying anything but the Stadetler noris ones like you get in school. They take a beating and keep going. Nothing worse than sharpening a pencil just to lose the lead

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciated.

Start with the basics and buy new tools as you go along. Some advice that I think someone on here kindly told me when I started out was if you need to borrow it twice you should probably own one. This obviously applies more to hand tools over power tools when your starting out.

To start with you'll probably manage with what you've said and:
Tool Bag - Everyone's different, I have this one.
pliers
snips/sidecutters
hammer
measuring tape
spirit level
Hacksaw & Junior Hacksaw
Stanley Knife &/or Electrician's Knife

Remember to also think about pencils, permanent markers, etc. & PPE (Personal Protective Equipment - should be provided but you might have to buy yourself a pair of steel toe caps).

Best person to ask would be your journeyman/boss (when the time comes).

"Best person to ask would be your journeyman/boss (when the time comes)" Your probably right you know, thanks for the bit of a list, i prefer a toolbag myself, that looks like a decent one too.

And fair enough "borrow twice, you should own one" that's really good to go by.

Thanks again for the advice guys, i appreciate it.

Mike.

:wacko:

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Best tool i have is my mouth , no f*c* off you can't borrow it ! In fact i wrote that in big letters on one tool box lol , be careful lashing out on shiny kit that others envy.

Best tool i have is my mouth , no f*c* off you can't borrow it ! In fact i wrote that in big letters on one tool box lol , be careful lashing out on shiny kit that others envy.

Starting to think about that now, lol. Perhaps save the shiny ones for when im not going to be around people at college. A fire engineer once told me that he lets no body borrow his tools, even if its just a screwdriver. Not a bad idea imo. Thanks alot!

Depending where you will be working get a cheaper set of drivers too...Some places you will work in you will find expensive tools are expensive because they can magically grow legs and walk off :eek: I have a tote I carry with cheaper kit in it, or good stuff on its last legs.

Taking that advice from both of you, thats a fair point. Cheers :icon4:

dont bother paying £30 for snips

go on amazon and buy a pair of knipex 200mm side cutters for around £20

knipex grips (waterpump pliers, alligator grips) are very good at £20 each

wouldn't be without my bahco grips. tried knipex and had more torn skin than a cow in a slaugtherhouse. the bahco ones stay where you set them, no slipping shut on your skin.

Apprentice eh ? All you'll be needing is a lump hammer, a bolster, and a sturdy pair of boots for all those walks to the sandwich shop.

Only joking (sort of). Resu's post was pretty comprehensive as a starting kit. Start with that and build as you need/can afford it.
Do you have a voltage tester ? A cheap fluke one for £25 will do. Look after it though and make sure it doesn't live with your hammers and hacksaws.

wouldn't be without my bahco grips. tried knipex and had more torn skin than a cow in a slaugtherhouse. the bahco ones stay where you set them, no slipping shut on your skin.

how the hell are you using them?

never buy the auto adjusting grips they are rubbish ive binned 2 pairs and tried a couple from different mates.

grips can take a lot of abuse and still work fine (we use ours as a reemer here when doing conduit)

get a good solid pair of boots.

remember you will be wearing them all day so its a good idea to spend £30+ on a decent pair.

go for a walking boot version if possible, there a lot better because you wont be standing around a lot

Get the best you can afford and it will last you years, yes it may get nicked, but you just need to keep an eye on your stuff... Buy cheap buy twice ... Or 3 times

how the hell are you using them?

never buy the auto adjusting grips they are rubbish ive binned 2 pairs and tried a couple from different mates.

grips can take a lot of abuse and still work fine (we use ours as a reemer here when doing conduit)

get a good solid pair of boots.

remember you will be wearing them all day so its a good idea to spend £30+ on a decent pair.

go for a walking boot version if possible, there a lot better because you wont be standing around a lot

had a few pairs of the cheaper grips where, once under pressure, the jaws slide and pinch whatever part of your body is in the firing line. the sliding adjustment on the bahco grips needs a lever release when not under pressure before it will move.

had a few pairs of the cheaper grips where, once under pressure, the jaws slide and pinch whatever part of your body is in the firing line. the sliding adjustment on the bahco grips needs a lever release when not under pressure before it will move.
knipex make something similar but you have to look for them,i have 2 knipex and a bahco.

Apprentice eh ? All you'll be needing is a lump hammer, a bolster, and a sturdy pair of boots for all those walks to the sandwich shop.

Only joking (sort of). Resu's post was pretty comprehensive as a starting kit. Start with that and build as you need/can afford it.
Do you have a voltage tester ? A cheap fluke one for £25 will do. Look after it though and make sure it doesn't live with your hammers and hacksaws.

lol, im sure ill be sent for a few sky hooks or jars of sparks for the grinder, although, id like to think my employer would be willing to help me through it..but thats another matter...i have Completely forgot about a voltage tester, thanks for the reminder, should i grab a volt-stick/non contact tester to go with it so i have two ways of checking, or is it sufficient to have a voltage tester?

lol, im sure ill be sent for a few sky hooks or jars of sparks for the grinder, although, id like to think my employer would be willing to help me through it..but thats another matter...i have Completely forgot about a voltage tester, thanks for the reminder, should i grab a volt-stick/non contact tester to go with it so i have two ways of checking, or is it sufficient to have a voltage tester?

Get a cheap volt stick if you must for seeing if a cable is live, but NEVER use one to test for dead. You should always use a proper voltage tester. You might not even need one at first. As you say, see what tools the boss will stand to buy you ;)

a fleece???? you lucky sod. all we ever got from the company was a bin bag if it was peeing down.

Reply to Apprentice , looking for tools. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net