Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? | Page 11 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Nearly Esteemed
Solutions
Reaction score

I keep reading news, hearing on radio and seeing on telly that the lack of lorry drivers is having more and more of an impact on our daily lives and wont stop any time soon. I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have felt this with suppliers running out of anything you use regularly?

Heard anything through the grapevine?

Started to stock up on basic things you use often to help get around this over Christmas etc?

True. Only that the current HGV crisis is down to Brexit. ?
Rubbish. It's down to pre-Brexit foreign migrant drivers prepared to work for minimum wage drove wages down below survival level for British drivers with families and mortgages, so they left to seek a decent wage. now the foreign drivers have largely gone back home, there's a shortage.

True. Only that the current HGV crisis is down to Brexit. ?
I think you need to change your information source
The UK has a large number of class 1 HGV licence holders who have licences that have lapsed as they left the industry when the wage rates were driven down to such uneconomic levels that they could earn more elsewhere

Best not to start a panic buying frenzy... look where the petrol rumours got us !
Even the Government have said here will be food shortages over Christmas mate.

You do you, I'll do me. :)

Got a family to feed here. I'll be stocking up every week from now till then. Worst case scenario I can't move around a room in my house for a few months in 2022 but barely need to shop for a few months too.

It’s ok….the temporary visas have been a success and there’s an army of foreign (or at least non-uk) drivers coming to save Christmas!

An army of….. um…… 137!

That’ll fix things. ?

137 have applied, claiming to be tanker drivers, that doesn't mean they've been approved or granted a Visa.
That would be subject to I.D confirmation, background checks, criminal record checks etc.

You could probably wipe out half the applicants.

Once they've got a Visa they've then got to be assessed by a fuel distribution company before being employed.
I'd expect they'd want proof of previous employment as a fuel tanker driver and evidence of driving a Right hand drive lorry in the U.K.

You can now wipe the rest of them out, they'll end up driving skip lorries.

If they were worth employing they wouldn't have to travel nearly 2000 miles through all the countries in the E.U with driver shortages just to get a job.

Rubbish. It's down to pre-Brexit foreign migrant drivers prepared to work for minimum wage drove wages down below survival level for British drivers with families and mortgages, so they left to seek a decent wage. now the foreign drivers have largely gone back home, there's a shortage.
So basically you’re saying that they’ve gone home due to Brexit! ?? QED.

Mostly they’ve gone back due to covid and conditions and pay improving relative to the U.K. over the past decade or so
Yep, COVID acted like a catalyst to the labour effects of Brexit. Eastern Europe has been levelling up over the past few years. Will be interesting to see how the service sector copes now restaurants and bars are opening up. Lots of jobs going for chefs, waiters and bar staff.

The consumer will have to pay a little more (have restaurant food prices even gone up in the past 10-15 years?). It’s probably an example of a sector where prices have become unsustainably low due to a reliance on cheap labour.

People who are working full time should not be getting benefits. They should be getting paid a fair wage to live on. The taxpayer shouldn’t be subsidising low wages, just to enable people to eat out artificially cheaply.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies?

Ireland is now looking towards Europe and less towards the UK for trade

Today a new terminal between Dunkirk and Ireland was opened

Reply to Are lorry drivers (or lack of) having an effect on any of your regular supplies? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back