Are RCCB main switches ok to be used for 17th Edition installs? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Are RCCB main switches ok to be used for 17th Edition installs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Well guys wondering if you could help me, I went to price a loft conversion job yesterday where the guy is converting his loft into a bedroom and bathroom. I was probably going to run a new ring main for the sockets and a new lighting circuit for the lights which there is space for in the db. However I found a rccb main switch protecting the db and I was wondering if this is up to 17th edition standard or if the main switch would need to be changed to a rcd main switch (if I could source one) or if the db would need to be changed altogether to one with dual Rcd's incorporated in it?

I understand that rccb's detect's unbalancing in the load when it trip's and doesn't give overload and short circuit protection like a rcd does but wasn't sure if it still could to be used for 17th edition installs. Obviously depending on this will effect the price of the job.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but when I did my 17th edition I can't remember them covering rccb's only the new type of dual rcd dbs. Don't know if maybe I just answered my own question :bulb2:, but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

RCD = Residual Current Device
RCCB = Residual Current Circuit Breaker

Both taste the same.

Were they both live when you tasted them!

Went to a manufacturers presentation a while back on RCD's. He said they were the best on the market. We asked him to prove it by touching live to earth but he would'nt!

I thought Rcd was just a term to cover rcbos and rccbs??
Rcbo have overload as spin said.

I would try to put new ccts in a seperate cu or change the
Cu to try and get some segregation in the event of a fault.
Don't loose it all etc.
I think reg 314...

Hi

Well guys wondering if you could help me, I went to price a loft conversion job yesterday where the guy is converting his loft into a bedroom and bathroom. I was probably going to run a new ring main for the sockets and a new lighting circuit for the lights which there is space for in the db. However I found a rccb main switch protecting the db and I was wondering if this is up to 17th edition standard or if the main switch would need to be changed to a rcd main switch (if I could source one) or if the db would need to be changed altogether to one with dual Rcd's incorporated in it?

I understand that rccb's detect's unbalancing in the load when it trip's and doesn't give overload and short circuit protection like a rcd does but wasn't sure if it still could to be used for 17th edition installs. Obviously depending on this will effect the price of the job.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but when I did my 17th edition I can't remember them covering rccb's only the new type of dual rcd dbs. Don't know if maybe I just answered my own question :bulb2:, but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Can I ask why you want a ring final and a new lighting circuit for just a bedroom.

I thought Rcd was just a term to cover rcbos and rccbs??
Rcbo have overload as spin said.

I would try to put new ccts in a seperate cu or change the
Cu to try and get some segregation in the event of a fault.
Don't loose it all etc.
I think reg 314...
but you start going down the change the C/U route......can of worms is that as you will have to provide an EIC.....together with a schedule of inspections and schedule of tests for all circuits fed from that C/U...who knows what nastys you might find...lol.....if no room then an add on board is the way here.....

Reply to Are RCCB main switches ok to be used for 17th Edition installs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net