ballasts-polarity dependant? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss ballasts-polarity dependant? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi

been stuck on a job where i have to change all ballasts that aren't working for fluorescent lights?

are normal/electronic ballasts polarity dependant and what is the secondary voltage output usually for them?

tried googling this but not getting very far

thanks in advance

depends on manufacturer some just have supply across incomer take care as some of the ones with 3 terms have markings outof line IE WATCH where you connect earth /live /neutral normal wirewound ballasts have inlive out to lamp or lamps if its 36w feeding 2x18w "SERIES Starters NOT universal check this as its a common misstake ) also dependant on what electronic ballast follow the schematic on ballast carefully dont just assume 12345678 on old ballast will match 12345678 on new one

thanks for that mogga

just to be a little more specific though, i was actually thinking about the wires on the secondary side of the ballast when they go off to the tubes. I presume one of them has to be the neutral so was just wondering about that.

if its HF ballasts depends on manufactrer how they are wired on outgoing side
single lamp ballast will have 4 wires
if 2 lamp ballast it could have 8 ,7 6, wires as I said follow the schematic carefully make sure lampholder connections are ok n watch stripping the solid cables as they nick very easily

Reply to ballasts-polarity dependant? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Back to the Men's Shed today to complete the installation of the 4 LED battens in the attic. These were a joy to fit, having screwed the units to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you so much I have spent hours and hours looking for this answer, appreciate your time and comprehensive reply. I will look further into the...
Replies
Views
Hi Avo Mk8 Thank you so much! Yes the bulbs fit perfectly I don't think they are much bigger. I could have bought a bigger rated LED driver but...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sometimes new ballasts comes with less connections, ie two have to go in connector.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi I'm again struggling with a long overdue 2396 project but, as before, am at a standstill when it comes to the lighting design. Please could...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks