Best way to maximise export of generated electricity? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Best way to maximise export of generated electricity? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Smidgen

DIY
Reaction score
I hope to install an 8kw panel array. I have spoken to 2 installers who both seemed a bit cagey about maximum export on a G99 Fasttrack application.
In short one says I am limited to 3.68kw (which I thought was automatic on a G98) the other said 7.68kw but was selling a 5kw inverter on the quote?

I am really confused so can anyone just tell me how to make best use of 8kw worth of panels on the SEG system, other than by using battery?

Thank you

Not sure what you are trying to achieve, first question says best way to maximise export, second question is best use of 8KW of panels, which one is it ? As obviously using the panels for self consumption is the best.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve, first question says best way to maximise export, second question is best use of 8KW of panels, which one is it ? As obviously using the panels for self consumption is the best.
Not sure what you mean either.
A domestic system so home use will be first draw, but I dont want to settle for a 3.6kw if I have panels doing 6 07 7kw mor than I am using? Just asking how to achieve this.
I believe I have to buy a bigger inverter and get the installer to set it to whatever the DNO dictates, what is the maximum that can be on a Fasttrack application ? Am I likely to be allowed an export of >3.6kw by the DNO?

Not sure what you mean either.
A domestic system so home use will be first draw, but I dont want to settle for a 3.6kw if I have panels doing 6 07 7kw mor than I am using? Just asking how to achieve this.
I believe I have to buy a bigger inverter and get the installer to set it to whatever the DNO dictates, what is the maximum that can be on a Fasttrack application ? Am I likely to be allowed an export of >3.6kw by the DNO?
When you export the return on the investment is very small so you are better optimising what you install so you get the best return.
When installing a large PV setup the best way to optimise it is to install batteries what is the point in selling electricity to the grid for 5 or 6p / Kw and then buying it back when you are not generating at circa 30p / Kw

When you export the return on the investment is very small so you are better optimising what you install so you get the best return.
When installing a large PV setup the best way to optimise it is to install batteries what is the point in selling electricity to the grid for 5 or 6p / Kw and then buying it back when you are not generating at circa 30p / Kw
Well I was hoping to do better than that on Octopus.

My view is I want to be as self sufficient as possible in the winter. So when the scaffolding, costing £1000 plus, is up I will do as many panels as possible. I wont use very much at the best generating seasons, so exporting is a good option. Watching Gary does Solar on You tube he says if your limited by your inverter, the generated electricity wastes once the battery is full and as you are generally only 3.6 to the grid. I am trying to ensure I send it all.

Perhaps someone can advise how I can do this best?

Now had panels for over a year, and still no payment for export, made application to British Gas on their forms, but they say wrong format, it will cost £75 to move from British Gas, and we are told Scottish Power is also a problem getting the application accepted.

Octopus seems are better, but then one has to look at the rates, it is not as easy as compare EV tariff with EV tariff as Octopus will not give one an EV tariff without having an EV and EV charging point, but British Gas will.

There is a huge difference between Economy 7 and EV tariff, both have peak and off peak, but times and rates change, it seems EV owners who clearly have money to burn, are offered far better rates to storage radiator users, and my EV off-peek is only for 5 hours, not 7.

Solar we want from the South West, as dusk is around 5 pm so 7 hours until off-peak, and off-peak stops at 5 am and solar will maintain house by 10 am, so only 5 hours, between off-peak ending and solar starting. Also in the evening we tend to use more power.

So we have a time, yesterday 13:47 to 16:01 when the battery was full, so |I was exporting, 4.9 kWh in total, down the drain, as not being paid for it, however at 11:02 my battery was at its lowest point at 61% charged, so had I stopped charging my batteries at 03:00 instead of 05:00 I would have used around 600 watt/hours more (my back ground use is around 300 watt, freezers etc. But then if the sun fails to shine, I loose more paying for peak power, to what I would have saved not using off-peak power.

If I look at export over the 21 days this month, 9 of those days, no export to grid, so battery did not fully recharge, so looking at history, better exporting a bit I am not being paid for, to importing more at peak rate.

The rates are 31.31p per kWh peak, and 8.95p per kWh off-peak, the smart meter app can show £25.35 not including standing charge, or 162.09 kWh so simple maths average 15.64p per kWh for October so far.

For the home, solar panels without a battery are a bit useless, you need a battery able to deliver 3 kW so you can turn on a kettle, washing machine, dish washer etc, and if a cloud comes over, the battery will bridge the gap. In general a 3.2 kWh battery will do that. Once you have the battery, may as well charge it up over night and so use off-peak power, then we start to look at what size battery will last for around half the time between dusk and off-peak starting, I found I need around 6.4 kWh to do that, so have fitted a second battery. I say half the time, as if no sun clearly no solar generation, or at least very little, and not aiming to store enough power to last the day when no or little solar.

So look on your smart meter app, and see what you use each day, pick the low days, as you can once solar is fitted, decide if to use washing machine, tumble drier, and dish washer that day, so you want a battery about half the size of your daily low use. Larger and you may not get the return, typical guarantee for battery is 12 years, I have calculated just moving the off-peak so it can be used in the day, it will pay for its self in 3 years.

I have saved more money with the battery to the solar panels, when I went to the EV tariff (I do not have an EV) my bill dropped by £20 a month, however it needs the inverter, which I would not have if not for solar. I think my inverter is about 5 kW, which means even if my pair of batteries can give me 6 kW, I still can only get 5 kW, but also I hold back 10% in case of power cuts, so even with a grid failure, my freezers and central heating will still run. How long for, depends on state of charge, and how much sun. It does not supply anything else, although I have one socket I could use.

Reply to Best way to maximise export of generated electricity? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net