Bloody plumbers | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bloody plumbers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sedgy34

Ive been told before by a few plumbers in a kitchen the socket for the ignition on the gas hob cant be switched it has to be unswitched cause of the arc in the switch this will be a recomendation from the gas reg not our bible

The fact that u probably have to remove the oven to get at the socket in the first place to switch it off is lost in the big space between their lugs.who makes this cack up?

we normally put the supply under the hob cause the flex that comes with the hobs (i have shoe laces longer)they say if a gas leak the switch can ignite it

so, if there's a gas leak, the first thing to do is get under the hod and merrily flick the socket switch on and off. bout right for wet-heads.

The fact that u probably have to remove the oven to get at the socket in the first place to switch it off is lost in the big space between their lugs.who makes this cack up?
That's why I would install an unswitched socket rather than a switched one - you don't want to put the oven in then go to test the hob and realise you forgot to turn the switch on so you have to take the oven out again.
This idea of a switched socket blowing the place up sounds a little dubious to me.
Bloody plumbers. :rolleyes:

It will soon be Intrinsically safe outlets in all dwellings and all those gas meters that are under the stairs where there's a light,they had better be moved
[ElectriciansForums.net] Bloody plumbers

Even as a kid I was taught that if you smell gas, open all the windows, get out and call the gas man. Under no circumstances touch any electrickery stuff.

I keep forgetting this world is full of stupid people... :)

The definition of a plumber is a worker of lead. I thought it was the lead that made them doolally but most plumbers would not know what to do with lead if it got up and bit them.

I would let them just get on with putting their plastic pipes together with push fit connectors that my 5 year old niece could do in her sleep!

Brain dead the lot of them.

Ive been told before by a few plumbers in a kitchen the socket for the ignition on the gas hob cant be switched it has to be unswitched cause of the arc in the switch this will be a recomendation from the gas reg not our bible

Have you asked them to quote the reg. that they are referring to??

I have the gas equivalent of the Big Green Book and can't find anything in it about un-switched / switched sockets for gas hobs.

Anything in it about cross bonding boilers??????

No ...... nothing at all.

The only reference to earthing / bonding is about the bonding of the gas pipe which should be within 600mm of where it enters the building, or alternatively it may be bonded within the gas meter enclosure / cabinet.

There is one other thing & that refers to the use of a temporary continuity bond which must be in place when removing a gas meter. (it's basically a short length of 10mm green/yellow with a large croc. clip at each end which is used to link the incoming pipe to the meter with the outgoing pipe from the meter thus providing electrical continuity while the meter is removed)

I've not seen anything about cross bonding boilers in any of the manufacturers instructions either, but I've only ever fitted gas fired combis - system boilers may be different, but I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be worse he could have replaced a 7kw shower with a 9kw model and because its on a 30A 3036 fuse and 6mm the customer did not notice the overcurrent until the pull cord switch burnt out

I had a gas assessor come out to assess the gas fitters work and he told me that I was working to the 15th ed. and modern boilers don't require cross bonding.

and back to the OP,

Firstly if you smell gas, turn off the gas supply and open as many orifices as possible...
If you don't know where the main gas stop cock is, then any orifice will do while making a hasty retreat. Don't use internal phones or switch any electrical accessory...

Just to highlight I did a job for a letting agent last month to change a shower switch when I had a smell of gas so I called Transco and what a hullaballoo because they had to get authorisation from the supplier it turns out they have a problem with the regulator or governer at the meter as they can develop a leak so the Transco guys run around with a big box of regulators in the back of the van but they are only changing them if a leak is reported and so far I have reported 3.

Reply to Bloody plumbers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net