Bonding and Plastic pipe | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Bonding and Plastic pipe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

noodle_26

Hi

The situation is this;
PME supply
Dual consumer unit with 30mA RCDs
Incoming water pipe is MDPE into house where it is teed off copper to kitchen sink etc and copper to oil fired boiler in utility room
Boiler incoming in plastic
Tails to all taps and rads are in copper and remaining connecting pipework in plastic.
Supply pipework to shower is in plastic until under floor boards where it changes to copper and is embedded in wall up to shower.
The disconnection times required by Section 411 of BS 7671 are met
All circuits are protected by RCDs having the characteristics required by 415.1.1

As quoted in the electricians guide to the wiring regs "where there is a plastic incoming service and a metal installation within the premises, main bonding may be needed...."

Question 1. In the situation above is MEB required, can someone explain the "main bonding may be needed" in what circumstances is it needed or not with mixed metal, plastic pipework.

This brings me on to the next question,

"For new installations or alterations / additions in a location containing a bath or shower, supplementary bonding will not be required if:
1. The disconnection times required by Section 411 of BS 7671 are met, and
2. All circuits are protected by RCD’s having the characteristics required by 415.1.1, and
3. The building has protective equipotential bonding in accordance with 411.3.1.2, and
4. All extraneous-conductive parts of the location are effectively connected to the protective bonding."

Regarding the quote above if it is deduced that MEB is not required because of the plastic supply pipes then how can rules 3 and 4 above be met? Also if MEB is fitted to the copper side of the incoming then how can rule 4 be met as there is non conducting plastic pipe between rads taps etc?

Do i need supplementary bonding or not?

How should this situation be dealt with, I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance

I have a thin plastic disc, 12" in diameter, with a hole in the middle...
is this a record?
I think we know the answer there.
.......but 2012 to 2023, I don't think I've seen a later response.

Don't mention discs...a mate was trying to move workshops and waiting for the existing tenant to move out for 12 months.....thousands.
a small portion.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Bonding and Plastic pipe[ElectriciansForums.net] Bonding and Plastic pipe

Last edited:

Reply to Bonding and Plastic pipe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net