Bonding Gas Pipe | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bonding Gas Pipe in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SKY

Got a CU change to do on a family members house. and hope to use this install at part of my Elecsa assessment

I don't think that the gas pipe is bonded at the moment but it will be a right pain running some a cable to it as its the other side of the house.

The main water bond will be fine, i'm assuming that I can't take from a water pipe colse the the gas pipe and cross bond between water and gas pipe?

Thanks In advance

Hi - Cannot run outside.

does it have to be a clean earth from the main terminal block? or can I strap to the water across to the gas where it comes into the house?

As telex but how far appart are the gas and water if they are close together and that the cable for the water is long enough you can then use the cable to link between the 2 but you cant put a link in the cable has to be continuose

The main water pipe is right next to the CU housing so the length from the CU to the main water is a run of no longer than 1m.
The main water pipe that is sunk in the floor (concrete) straight to the kitchen sink - the main gas is right near the kitchen sink so would love to strap from water pipe by sink onto main gas pipe.

The main water pipe is right next to the CU housing so the length from the CU to the main water is a run of no longer than 1m.
The main water pipe that is sunk in the floor (concrete) straight to the kitchen sink - the main gas is right near the kitchen sink so would love to strap from water pipe by sink onto main gas pipe.

No your gas main needs bonded back to the MET. You can't come from the water pipe at the sink and bond to the gas main.

No your gas main needs bonded back to the MET. You can't come from the water pipe at the sink and bond to the gas main.

I know you can't do it if you're just tucking the bared ends of the cable under the terminal screw on the clamp, but are you not allowed to do this if you use crimped or soldered lugs on the ends of the cables?

I will do it right whatever way, due to my father in law doing me a favour and letting me use his house for my assessment i don't want to turn his house upside down running this earth.

just a thought.... are you sure the bonding isn't there and maybe been disconnected from the gas pipe by some hairy assed plumber. check in the CU to see if you have a spare 10mm G/Y. is it bonded in an outside meter box?

Last edited:
What i think the op is refering to is.

A main equipotential bond from MET to water service which are in close proximity to each other.
Gas main is at other side of house with no easy route to MET but is close to kitchen sink.
What he is sugesting to do is take a bond from water pipe at kitchen sink onto gas main.

What i think the op is refering to is.

A main equipotential bond from MET to water service which are in close proximity to each other.
Gas main is at other side of house with no easy route to MET but is close to kitchen sink.
What he is sugesting to do is take a bond from water pipe at kitchen sink onto gas main.
that's exactly what i thought he meant. to bond at kitchen sink water to gas is not compliant but better than nothing. if no branches and a water pipe reading of below 0.05ohms, could he get away with it. for assessment, maybe not.

what if you join it using solder
better coonection

Soldered joints not allowed - It's in the BRB somewhere because I had to find it last year. I believe continuation/linking of main bonding is allowed if crimped lugs used (I've def read that somewhere but cannot remember where - might have been niceic earthing booklet)!

I would doubt it very much as you are then using the water pipe as a earth path, When afore mentioned hairy ar$ed plumber chops out a section and replaces with plastic, you just lost your gas bond.....

Might be looking at the long way round...........up and over if you cant get round.

Soldered joints not allowed - It's in the BRB somewhere because I had to find it last year. I believe continuation/linking of main bonding is allowed if crimped lugs used (I've def read that somewhere but cannot remember where - might have been niceic earthing booklet)!

you sure. i thought soldered joints where better then crimps. Im sure i read somewhere that its prefered. I need regs mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm sure - I had to look it up cause I was asked to do it! I haven't got regs with me tonight but I'll look it up tomorrow! I remember thinking at the time that the reason must be because it could come apart under fault current, whereas crimped wouldn't.

Yeah I'm sure - I had to look it up cause I was asked to do it! I haven't got regs with me tonight but I'll look it up tomorrow! I remember thinking at the time that the reason must be because it could come apart under fault current, whereas crimped wouldn't.

Sounds feasible. Great thread, need to check this !

Crimping, the answer to all our problems .... seen some terrible crimps (that cost customers hundreds !!)

But if done properly.

Bonding. Original Poster, there will be a way to run the bonding without turning house upside down, as already posted, often thinking outside "the box" brings up running cables outside, if that is not an option then something else will be.

I've read it & seen it illustrated too - that's why I mentioned it in my earlier post - but, like you, I can't remember where it was. I think it may have been in one of Briam Scaddam's books.

I would doubt it very much as you are then using the water pipe as a earth path, When afore mentioned hairy ar$ed plumber chops out a section and replaces with plastic, you just lost your gas bond.....

Might be looking at the long way round...........up and over if you cant get round.

My understanding is that the op has a length of earth cable connected to the MET at one end & the water main at the other.

He has a gas pipe some distance away from the water main, which he needs to bond. It's just too far away from the water main to allow pulling the cable to it & connecting it to the gas pipe & looping it under the terminal screw of the clamp on the water main.

Is there a reason why he can't extend the cable using a 10mm butt crimp connector to reach the gas pipe, & loop it under the terminal screw of the water main bonding clamp?

The bond would then be continuous - albeit courtesy of the crimped connector - all the way back to the MET.

In this scenario, how would the earth bond to the gas pipe be affected by a plumber chopping-out a section & replacing it with a piece of plastic?

Finally, is there anything in the BRB that says the gas pipe & water pipe each have to have their very own, exclusive & seperate bonding cables back to the MET where they will be joined together anyway?

Was told on my 2391 Continuous cable or crimps(lugs) are allowed.
As mentioned as long as the reading is 0.05 or below i cant see a prob with it.
Thats what the "This is your life" book quotes as reading :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bonding Gas Pipe in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net