Born Again Electrician Needs Advise on 2391 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Born Again Electrician Needs Advise on 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I have just got back into sparking after an absence of 15 years. Recently took my 17th (I was still on 15th) and passed no problems.
Was considering doing a 4 day course on 2391 but do you think I am going to struggle?

I did my apprenticeship at 16 passed out when 20 and spent the next 10 years generally working on large construction projects in and around London. In some respects its a bit like riding a bike I hadn't forgotten how to bend conduit, fabricating trunking, making off amoured's, wiring circuits but I am rusty when it comes to some of the regs (shocking to find that a socket can now be installed in a bathroom) and it's been a long time since I did any testing.

What do you think, go for 2391 or suck eggs on 2392?

All advise extremely welcome.

Peter

Archy has it right, if you can read the GN3 and think os yes that was how it was done and you then learn all the new bits from GN3 you should be OK to go for the 2391 (now 2395).
The 2392 (now 2394) may be a good starter point if you read GN3 and go "what are they talking about"
Practice at home and learn the new nomenclature.

Thanks guys for the response.

I had the 17th reg book for my test and just recently bought GN3. It seems fairly straightforward and I feel pretty confident if I study enough I should be able to get my head around it. A few bits have thrown me but not much.

I am guessing that the course will cover it all, its just a tad under £500 for the course and I don't want to mess it up.

Peter

Hi,

If you read the GN3 and get to know it pretty much word for word, then you will pass the 2391 theory as thats all the tutor did on my course, just read the book to us. Get a good test kit i.e Metrel easi test or megger mft 1552. Get to know it and how it works and all the different settings, then as Archy said practice at home and if you can, on a 3 phase supply. You may also need the green regs book cos it has the new amd and includes the change from PIR to EICR and all the extra paper work.

Good luck if you go for it.

Jay

I had a similar upbringing, apprenticeship at 16 EITB, 15th etc etc and then had 15 year break. 2391 was pretty straightforward on the theory part, stuff you just never forget. When it came to the practical, well i'm a bit of a plodder and like to take my time. Well the examiner had to give me the hurry up cos i would not have done it in the time. Good news is now i can do it at a pace i like, bit of an opposite to taking the driving test.
Good luck - i think 2391 was the only worthwhile course i did, 17th, part p and the like we quite frankly a joke, ridiculous low pass levels, when any real spark should be getting 90%+

Thanks everyone for the information. I think that I will go for it. Luckily I can get a tester to play with so that saves some cash. If I pass I'll be back to shout about.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

I had a similar upbringing, apprenticeship at 16 EITB, 15th etc etc and then had 15 year break. 2391 was pretty straightforward on the theory part, stuff you just never forget. When it came to the practical, well i'm a bit of a plodder and like to take my time. Well the examiner had to give me the hurry up cos i would not have done it in the time. Good news is now i can do it at a pace i like, bit of an opposite to taking the driving test.
Good luck - i think 2391 was the only worthwhile course i did, 17th, part p and the like we quite frankly a joke, ridiculous low pass levels, when any real spark should be getting 90%+

:rockon2:

Jay

Another quick question. Can anyone recommend a good course provider in the Warwickshire area or where I can get a list of training centres in the area.

Thanks

Peter

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

Reply to Born Again Electrician Needs Advise on 2391 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net