Box sinking kit | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Box sinking kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Reaction score
Been sinking half a dozen boxes today using the old tried and trusted "drill and bash" method.

Been getting a bit peeved by sinking them into crumbly breeze blocks and having it all crumble, leaving me without a smooth rear surface to screw the box to.

Was thinking of buying one of those box sinking kits, how good are they in reality? Do they do the job as well as the advertising shows, or are they more trouble than they're worth?

Been sinking half a dozen boxes today using the old tried and trusted "drill and bash" method.

Been getting a bit peeved by sinking them into crumbly breeze blocks and having it all crumble, leaving me without a smooth rear surface to screw the box to.

Was thinking of buying one of those box sinking kits, how good are they in reality? Do they do the job as well as the advertising shows, or are they more trouble than they're worth?

I have one made by Armeg and I would not happily recommend it.

It's ok (ish) in soft block work - except for the ridiculous amount of dust it creates, but not much use in brick work.

I think chain drilling & finishing off with a scutch chisel is cleaner & easier for the most part.

In addition to my post #2

One way I found to reduce the amount of dust flying about is to put the SDS machine in a plastic carrier bag (ASDA or whatever) with the chuck sticking out through a hole in the bottom & leave the bag loose-fitting around the machine so the air can circulate around it. Put your hands through the open top of the bag to operate it.

I have one, the pilot drill has broken, the two grub screws that hold it together have finally been lost, I spent longer looking for those on many occasions than sinking the boxes. I am so unimpressed with it I have not bothered to get new bits for it.

It worked OK in soft block, but not too good in anything harder. The SDS chisel (a wide one) works well in soft block if you take it easy.

Now I tend to use either a core drill to set the depth followed by an SDS chisel or the chaser to do the same but with a couple more cuts to get a square shape followed by the SDS chisel. The chaser is the best if used with a vacuum to keep the dust down.

I don't chain drill unless I don't have the other tools with me or no electrickery on site.

whack a brick out with a sledge hammer. grind the brick (outside) to appropriate thickness, cement modified brick back in wall, return next day to fit box.

flat chisel + sds around the planned box, then smooth the inside with a "tile lifting chisel", they are 75mm like the box, cost around a tenner in tool station. works well for me.

I have used the box sinkers before, but as said, very dusty, and terrible on brick. I found it easier on the cutter if i'd stitch drilled the box first, then finished off with the sinker, bit neater, and face of the brick more level to fix too, i'm a bit ham fisted when it comes to hammer and chisel i'm afraid ! !

These things do have their uses though, its not all bad news. The first time i used mine on a breeze wall, it bashed its way into the block as the designer intended, great i thought, till i looked on the other side of the wall in the bedroom, and hey ho there was a single socket sized bit of breeze pushing out through the wallpaper. So if you bang a load of randomly placed sockets in a wall, you can create a climbing wall in the adjacent room at no extra cost, as long as the adjacent room isn't a fully tiled bathroom:frown2:.

Cheers..........Howard

i did have one but found it a swate of time so i bought a sdparkey wall chaser and use that to cut out the boxes , then finish them off with my sds with chisel action ,takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it

Reply to Box sinking kit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net