Bristol based trainee Domestic Installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bristol based trainee Domestic Installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OliOldfield83

Hi,

I am currently studying for a Domestic Installer Course with OLCI Construction in Bristol. I currently work full time as an Event Manager for a marketing agency in Bristol, however, i am retraining to become a qualified domestic installer.

I am looking for trainee positions (full time) in the Bristol area. I feel this would increase the speed of my theory learning as working on jobs will make the understanding easier! I have worked for an electrician previously on ad hoc jobs and I am now looking to increase my time on site to a more full time position.

Does anyone have any need for a paid apprentice? I have a hard working attitude and I am a quick learner. I also feel that my knowledge of the marketing industry can help in promotion of your business.

Thanks
Oli

If you're looking for a full-time position then you'd be much better off ditching the Electrical Trainee DI course and starting again by looking for a proper apprenticeship with proper meaningful qualifications.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments! I'd love to say that I could afford to complete a full time apprenticeship, but unfortunately not viable as i work full time with a relatively good income. I will just crack on with the course, and get as much ad hoc work as possible!

Certainly know it wont be easy, but want to make this change for the better!

Thanks
Oli

If you're looking for a full-time position then you'd be much better off ditching the Electrical Trainee DI course and starting again by looking for a proper apprenticeship with proper meaningful qualifications.

I agree with that but the govt make it near impossible to get an apprenticeship aged 24+. Best bet is a technical cert like 2330 or whatever number it is now. Then apply to local sparks for work experience on a (ask for it) ****ty wage just to get foot in the door. Build experience as this is better than any qualification then apply for other jobs relevant to your experience!

I would say you need to have clear vision of what you want and why - do you want to be an event manager for a marketing agency, a domestic installer, a domestic electrician, or don't you care as long as you get paid lots of money?

If you want someone to employ you consider what they'll be looking for and how you will fit into that vision - are they looking for a project to train up and mould into their ideal, an electrician who can hit the ground running or a pencil pusher who dabbles in electrics? Do you think they'll be looking for someone who's committed to learning the trade and becoming an electrician who will listen and take on board everything they're told, or do you think they want someone who's just doing it for the money, will leave and set up in competition as soon as they can, won't take time off from an unrelated job to go to college and sees the job they're expecting to be given not as an opportunity buy a step down from their previous job?

Adam,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I take all you've said on board. I have no blindness to the fact that this will certainly be hard work. I am committed to learning the trade and want to leave my current role as I get no fulfilment from it. I am certainly not making this change for money. To be taken on and moulded into their ideal would of course be a great situation to be faced with.

My course will be complete in July 2015 and I should have by then received my EAL Level 3 certificate, 2382-12 (17th Edition) and the 2377 (inspection and Testing) plus some other certificates including PV and Installation and Maintenance of Electric Boilers. by this point I am hoping to have built up enough experience to make myself a viable option to be taken on as a trainee.

Oli

What he said Domestic Installer my foot no such thing.

Certainly takes longer than 5 weeks!! I have to do a three to six month work logbook completion, plus the city and guilds quals.

Certainly wish I'd started when I was 17!
6months probation, 5 year apprenticeship, 6 months as an improver, and IF I was lucky a job at the end of 6 years, and you think you've had a hard deal

Certainly don't see this as a fast track 'solution'. As an employed 30 year old it would be impossible to just leave my job and start an apprenticeship. I see this course as the very start to be able to gain the basic understanding of the theory. I know the hard work starts when the course is complete and I start work! Not expecting big bucks!

Good to see all these qualified sparks given you lots of sound advice (sarcasm).

Maybe being positive toward helping the op out with advice rather than slating him for at least making an effort in the electrical industry.

All i'm seeing here is constant knock downs and pessimism, well gents if you don't like it do something about it, because whether we like it or not, the fast track courses are here to stay and those people who are on them are working bloody hard to get as much info/experience and skills under their belt probably as much as you guys did.

I have been banging my head against brick walls for the last two years trying to get a modern apprenticeship but at 39 it's impossible, nobody wants to pay when they can get a young trainee fully funded by the government. So there's no apologies for guys trying to break into the industry with one hand tied behind their backs, it's about having the cohones to see it through and prove the rest of the satisfied majority wrong.

The very first electricians who started out had to learn as they went and in time started to set up minimum standards for people like us to follow, that's what were doing, following the basics and as long as everyone is safe and competent, it's all good.

Oli, i commend you mate. I know it's not easy and we both know that but in time you can stand tall and say you got their the hard way just like myself.

Good to see all these qualified sparks given you lots of sound advice (sarcasm).

Maybe being positive toward helping the op out with advice rather than slating him for at least making an effort in the electrical industry.

All i'm seeing here is constant knock downs and pessimism, well gents if you don't like it do something about it, because whether we like it or not, the fast track courses are here to stay and those people who are on them are working bloody hard to get as much info/experience and skills under their belt probably as much as you guys did.

I have been banging my head against brick walls for the last two years trying to get a modern apprenticeship but at 39 it's impossible, nobody wants to pay when they can get a young trainee fully funded by the government. So there's no apologies for guys trying to break into the industry with one hand tied behind their backs, it's about having the cohones to see it through and prove the rest of the satisfied majority wrong.

The very first electricians who started out had to learn as they went and in time started to set up minimum standards for people like us to follow, that's what were doing, following the basics and as long as everyone is safe and competent, it's all good.

Oli, i commend you mate. I know it's not easy and we both know that but in time you can stand tall and say you got their the hard way just like myself.
What are you talking about? I gave perfectly sound advice. You must have known it 'wouldn't be easy' when you started training, and what you've found is that that isn't just a figure of speech.
You're really not doing yourself or anyone else in your situation any favours by taking to the internet and bellyaching about your own short-sightedness.

What are you talking about? I gave perfectly sound advice. You must have known it 'wouldn't be easy' when you started training, and what you've found is that that isn't just a figure of speech.
You're really not doing yourself or anyone else in your situation any favours by taking to the internet and bellyaching about your own short-sightedness.

Adam, I merely pointed out an obvious note that there is a lot of negative points being made regarding people like the op and myself trying to break into the industry and the tons of encouraging words you guys provide.

I could respond in the same tone as yourself but one person once told me to never argue with an idiot coz they only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience. All good banter intended of course. :)

Adam, I merely pointed out an obvious note that there is a lot of negative points being made regarding people like the op and myself trying to break into the industry and the tons of encouraging words you guys provide.

I could respond in the same tone as yourself but one person once told me to never argue with an idiot coz they only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience. All good banter intended of course. :)
I managed to break into the industry without doing an apprenticeship when I was 16; I didn't start training until I was 25.
I could tell you how I did it, but you clearly know best.

Yes and for the right reasons as well, I have always respected anyone who wants to train and learn, the short courses is what is wrong with the training system today and when we try to let members know it is better to avoid the 5k short courses they seem to get defensive, look at yourself before blasting us, were only trying to help, there was no nasty posting in this thread, just good advice, Adam w gave some good advice IMHO.

Drex I am not trying to be sarcastic but I would be more willing to help someone who doesn't want to fast track the system, if the op as a well paid and secure job, then instead of flushing 5k down the toilet to gain a DI badge for his van, why not invest that money in a night course over 3 years and gain the core qualifications needed. that way you stay in secure employment to pay your bills but at the same time whenever you get a spare day/weekend get some experience with a local Electrician.
If I am honest the bit that winds me up is how all short course guys whine about not having 3 years to go to college and do it right, but what about all the guys on here who had to do it the hard way.
If you really want to class yourself as an Electrician, then do it the right way.
All the best to going forward.

I have to mention here that i am by no means moaning about my own situation, i knew full well what i was getting into and i can assure you i have not been surprised by the lack of opportunities for people trying to break into the industry.

I have been learning the theory for two years and had a minimum of 6 months hands on the tools, i have also done a few odd jobs here and there to gain a little experience and had no issues. I agree with what your saying Gmes although i couldn't get that choice due to the lack of space available at my local college at the time, so i took the only other option (at that time) for me to at least get started.

I have never attempted to fast track myself as i'm astute enough to realise that learning this trade takes time and dedication to fully understand the complexities of the role, i gave myself a timescale of 3 & a half years to 4 years to get qualified and i'm currently on target to getting to that target.

People can have a go at someone like the op or myself for trying to get a foothold into the industry but do not judge a person for trying to make an effort to do something positive with their lives and maybe at least start bringing in some decent earnings to keep the wolves from the door.

I am maybe a little frustrated at the lack of encouragement from the qualified people on this forum but that doesn't make me a numpty or a moan, i thought you guys might have been a bit more positive for the op rather than shoot us down at every turn, it seems my assumption was incorrect.

Anyway i have said my point and i will be doing my best to get into the industry one way or another and if it takes longer, so be it. Like someone said it's not meant to be easy.

Drex I appreciate the explanation mate, my only point was before aimed towards the op who had stated that he already had a well paid job, so in my eyes that is the perfect situation to enroll to college for a core qualification.
Regarding your own circumstance if you are putting yourself through college,then good on you!!
PhilD has just started a good thread in the main forum about " Electrical Trainee" take a look, and maybe have some input,
Cheers Glenn.

Drex I am not trying to be sarcastic but I would be more willing to help someone who doesn't want to fast track the system, if the op as a well paid and secure job, then instead of flushing 5k down the toilet to gain a DI badge for his van, why not invest that money in a night course over 3 years and gain the core qualifications needed. that way you stay in secure employment to pay your bills but at the same time whenever you get a spare day/weekend get some experience with a local Electrician.
If I am honest the bit that winds me up is how all short course guys whine about not having 3 years to go to college and do it right, but what about all the guys on here who had to do it the hard way.
If you really want to class yourself as an Electrician, then do it the right way.
All the best to going forward.

Too bloody right mate well said:rockon:

Drexyn I gave helpful advice on getting a job in post #6, but you threw it back in my face and called me an idiot; if you think that's the kind of attitude an employer wants to see then good luck to you.
If you read some of the many other threads on this forum about training or retraining you'll see nobody has a problem with it provided it's done correctly and shortcuts aren't taken, regardless of someone's age or how they can't see another option.

Drexyn I gave helpful advice on getting a job in post #6, but you threw it back in my face and called me an idiot; if you think that's the kind of attitude an employer wants to see then good luck to you.
If you read some of the many other threads on this forum about training or retraining you'll see nobody has a problem with it provided it's done correctly and shortcuts aren't taken, regardless of someone's age or how they can't see another option.

Adam i'm not going to split hairs with you, in the first instance YOU were the one saying i was bellyaching and being short sighted, so YOU insulted my intelligence first. What i said in return was a mere platitude.

I value what advice is given but when you resort to insulting peoples intelligence you reap the rewards. I read your advice and i agree it was fairly helpful however your retort towards my post was a slight insult aimed at me.

There are many sparks in this forum who have a problem with it and that's their opinion however and i stress, safety is paramount when doing this job and doing it right and hence i merely pointed out that people who come in through the "back door" so to speak will still have to learn the basics and that involves safety.

If your on some kind of fishing expedition may i suggest you leave things at that, you have made your point and i have made my point. I do respect peoples opinions and i value advice, i managed a team of over 50 people in a previous job so i think i am qualified to advocate whether an opinion is justified or an insulting one.

Reply to Bristol based trainee Domestic Installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net