BS 2818 flourescent starters.... | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter SPARTYKUS
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 3K

Discuss BS 2818 flourescent starters.... in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SPARTYKUS

My turn to post....

got a very elderly neighbour (mid nineties) sharp as a lemon.... And a flourescent light in the kitchen that looks from the 1950's...

The starter has gone - its bigger than any one I have ever seen and has "BS 2818" on it (regs for starters, 1985).

does anyone know if you can still get them.

thanks.

And before anyone suggests it, yes, I know a new 5 foot tube is a few quid but its the principal I want to see through, the customer would like to keep the fitting if possible!

Is it about a 1" in diameter and metal case by any chance? If so last time I saw one of then was the 70's and they where like rocking horse poo then.

Im ashamed to say ipf I still haven't sussed the joke but I am slower than homer Simpson doing a 100m sprint with jokes. Give me a week

If you have to change it, ask him if he'd like a twin fitted (if not already). When you're getting on a bit, you appreciate some more light to offset the failing eyesight.

Edit: Plus, if one fails, you're not without some light.

Not sure but I might have the odd one hanging about in the old stuff, somewhere. Not worth the trouble though, it's probably used.

Could try OES

If my memory serves me right it had four terminals 2 where for a heater element and the other 2 where for a bimetallic strip which acted as a switch. the heater made the bimetallic strip to open and close thus make the tube to strike.

The original idea of a 4-pin starter was as Ian says, with separate terminals for heater and bimetal contact. But later ones were just ordinary glow starters inside, identical to modern 2-pin ones, with the heater pins linked together.

Open the old can, disconnect the glow starter, connect a new glow starter across the pins and close the can up again. Saves mucking about with the fitting. Or even use an electronic starter and it'll never need touching again.

The original idea of a 4-pin starter was as Ian says, with separate terminals for heater and bimetal contact. But later ones were just ordinary glow starters inside, identical to modern 2-pin ones, with the heater pins linked together.

Open the old can, disconnect the glow starter, connect a new glow starter across the pins and close the can up again. Saves mucking about with the fitting. Or even use an electronic starter and it'll never need touching again.

Exactly what i would suggest doing and i might add, have had to do in the past!! lol!!

My turn to post....

got a very elderly neighbour (mid nineties) sharp as a lemon.... And a flourescent light in the kitchen that looks from the 1950's...

The starter has gone - its bigger than any one I have ever seen and has "BS 2818" on it (regs for starters, 1985).

does anyone know if you can still get them.

thanks.

And before anyone suggests it, yes, I know a new 5 foot tube is a few quid but its the principal I want to see through, the customer would like to keep the fitting if possible!

Metal 4 pin starters! Yeah, we've still loads of these in the basement at work. They're not new but still in working order. If I remember correctly you can 'repair' them by replacing the guts for a new type. ....Anyways if you want I'll send you one, just pm me.

Reply to BS 2818 flourescent starters.... in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net