BS 7671: 18th Edition | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss BS 7671: 18th Edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Skelly

-
Reaction score
Just been reading a report regarding the 18th Edition on the IET website, Would appreciate opinions on this, Please see link
[ElectriciansForums.net] BS 7671: 18th Edition

It's just getting stupid out there, There is always something in the pipeline to take what bit of money you earn, I can't stand working with water that's why I have never gone down that rout, But far play to you that do.

It's just getting stupid out there, There is always something in the pipeline to take what bit of money you earn, I can't stand working with water that's why I have never gone down that rout, But far play to you that do.
The slightest drip from a ceiling is like a plumbers lottery numbers coming in. How many times have I had customers tell me, oh we've been getting a tingle from the sink, dishwasher - you name it - for ages, and they have kids too!

To be honest I do't do much domestic but I know what you are saying, I previously worked for a very large FM company we looked after all the Bupa care homes and commercial sites, And have to odd call to water coming out of a light fitting or two, Best was when a care home was having fire sprinkler system installed the guys didn't bond the pipe work on the second floor, It was a Friday afternoon finish, 12 at night mains water pressure and the pipes just blew apart, You can imagine the mess it caused to a very large proportion of the building.

I think I'm going to become a plumber, the rewards are far greater.
£2500 to change a boiler, £800 for boiler £200 allowed for bits £1500 for me.

Its ridiculous but very true! I know quite a few gas safe plumbers who won't do a boiler swap for less than £1500 labour and the majority of domestic ones can be done in 8hrs, maybe up to 16hrs if its a conversion.

Its good money if you can get there work!

I also find that gas plumbers are more respected by the general public than electricians. Maybe its due to the fact that there is a lot of media coverage about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the like... But little is ever mentioned about the dangers of electricity.

Yes I know a few that charge silly money, Yet you get asked to do some work for someone and they say bloody hell I don't want the house rewired.
Too many Electrical Trainee about and that Part P has killed the business doing cheap nasty jobs for beer money. Please don't get me wrong Not all Part P are like that but quite a few are.

There's an example of 'customers' train of thought with the RCD on shower replacement thread, currently on going. Customers won't have a swanky new low energy boiler, without a megerman filter thing, which has nothing to do with safety. Thing is, there's more scope for profit fitting boilers, bathrooms than a CU or a few lights. Why don't 'They' move the responsibility of minial electrics, under the plumbers heating engineers regime, you can't have a new boiler without your CU being changed!

I have been reading that thread and can't believe there is so much bickering between people regarding how it should be done. Bring it up to full scope job done.
Think that's why "Gas Safe" can get away with charging so much, It's either done to reg's or it don't get done and I believe it is policed much better by the governing body unlike Elelcsa - NICEIC - NAPIT - Stroma and the rest, Who just want there pound of flesh each year.

I don't know how, particularly in the domestic market, how electricians have been beaten down to be so low, and still have to put up will all the edition and amendment crap at such great cost to us.

And when the new editions / amendments / on-site guides are finally published - they contain errors - that is inexcusable in documents of this nature (and price) in my mind.

I have been reading that thread and can't believe there is so much bickering between people regarding how it should be done. Bring it up to full scope job done.
Think that's why "Gas Safe" can get away with charging so much, It's either done to reg's or it don't get done and I believe it is policed much better by the governing body unlike Elelcsa - NICEIC - NAPIT - Stroma and the rest, Who just want there pound of flesh each year.

It's advertised better, more known about and pretty much a legal requirement. The public are also aware of it. Is it policed better? Not at all. Try reporting a poor/dodgey gas installation that's not in your own home - you pretty much can't, they don't want to know either.

I vaguely remember reading a post a while ago about the possible set up of an Elec safe register the same as gas safe, does anyone know if anything am ever came of this, if not how likely is it of getting anything done by starting a petition?

[h=2]
Re: BS 7671: 18th Edition[/h]

Originally Posted by Skelly [ElectriciansForums.net] BS 7671: 18th Edition

It's advertised better, more known about and pretty much a legal requirement. The public are also aware of it. Is it policed better? Not at all. Try reporting a poor/dodgey gas installation that's not in your own home - you pretty much can't, they don't want to know either.

Not sure how it it works in Ireland but I know for sure if I see a bad or suspect a dodgy job in the UK and I report it it, It gets looks at and that's why I said it's better policed than any Electrical governing body.

[h=2]
Re: BS 7671: 18th Edition[/h]

Originally Posted by Skelly [ElectriciansForums.net] BS 7671: 18th Edition

Sorry but I have never heard of that, It would be a major move forward for all concerned.

Reply to BS 7671: 18th Edition in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net