should i choose a 40 amp portable EV charger or and 40 amp EV wall charger? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss should i choose a 40 amp portable EV charger or and 40 amp EV wall charger? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a 40-amp EV charger, but I'm stuck on whether to go with a portable one or a wall-mounted one. Does anyone have experience with both? What are the true pros and cons of each? Thanks!
Here are the two models I’m considering.

In UK, they’re all wall mounted… or pole mounted… fixed down, anyway.

Except, I believe the roadside recovery companies have charge points on trailers, powered by diesel generators to rescue electric vehicles that have run out of charge.

A portable charger offers flexibility since you can take it with you for road trips or use it at multiple locations without the need for permanent installation. This is especially helpful if you move frequently or travel to places without easy access to chargers. Portable chargers don’t require the expense of electrical jobs, as they typically plug into a compatible outlet, saving you installation costs. However, they may have slightly lower charging speeds due to outlet limitations and may wear out faster with constant plugging and unplugging.

On the other hand, wall-mounted chargers are more convenient if you're mostly charging at home. Once installed, they provide easy access without the hassle of setup every time you need a charge. Though they require professional installation and may involve additional electrical jobs, these chargers are typically more durable and can offer faster charging speeds. They're also more weather-resistant and less likely to experience wear and tear compared to portable options.

Reply to should i choose a 40 amp portable EV charger or and 40 amp EV wall charger? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net