BSEN 60309 socket for ev charging | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss BSEN 60309 socket for ev charging in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I've been installing hypervolt and zappi units the last couple of years. Recently a client has come to me with Audi supplied 32amp charging lead. It has a 32amp Bsen 60309 commando plug and what looks like a protective device on the lead, a bit like a granny charger.

Assuming i can deal with PEN fault protection (Matt.e or similar) and max demand is okay (load curtailment not needed). RCD no problem. I can't see why I can't install an interlocked 60309 socket outlet. Client can control schedule from the car. If car manufacturers are supplying these leads, in many cases a wall charger in many cases won't be needed.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Many thanks

If it is a brand new car and that was supplied with it then I suspect it is for emergency charging only as it sounds like a mode 2 charger. New vehicles should not be sold for permanent charging from mode 2 they should be mode 3.

Thanks for your input.

I know that has been the understanding for granny 13amp leads and why myself have been recommending mode 3 in all previous installs too. But, looking 722.55.101.0.201.1 (iiita bsen 60309 is a recognised socket outlet for that purpose with no mention of temporary use only. I'd imagine a commando socket would take load over long without problem. I'm struggling to see which reg I might fall fowl of for installing one.

Cheers

Reply to BSEN 60309 socket for ev charging in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net