Bulls##t | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Bulls##t in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m wading through the masses of ‘information’ on becoming a domestic installer and would like a bit of advice,please.
I want to certify my own work on my own property developments.
I qualified at night school for the 15th edition and G&G 236, so that shows my age.
I’ve worked in telecommunications for 40 years so I’ve got plenty of extremely complex circuit experience, plus the engineering safety and nous those years bring. Plus doing occasional re-wires before the law changed.
Now, I’m not intending to go out competing, just doing my own stuff and occasional work for my partnering general builder.
So what is the best way to becoming a competent person in England and certifying maybe 4 or 5 re-wire jobs a year, please?

Join a DI (domestic installer scam) will cost you about 600-650 to join.
will need up to do 17th/18th qual , upto date test meter and upto date books etc
There isn’t really any other way if you want to self certified your own work.

there are a few sparks in my area who will self certify on your behalf for a fee but it’s £300-400 per job

Upvote 0

It might look like a walk in the park but when you go back into learning mode, it’s surprising how many things you have forgotten and need to brush up on, to bring you up to exam standard.

Upvote 0
You don't need to be a member of a scheme to 'certify' if what you mean by certify is to produce an Electrical Installation Certificate for the rewired installation or new circuits/consumer unit swap, you only need to be competent. The schemes really only provide a cheap way of notifying the works in accordance with Approved Document P.

If all the work you're doing is part of larger building projects, then I might be inclined to have a chat with the local building control departments to see what they would accept (if they will) to demonstrate your competence. If they'll accept that you are competent, they may accept your EIC for signing off the electricals as part of a larger planning application (which will have been paid for anyway).

If you can get to that point there's no additional cost/hoops to jump through for you or the clients. Just make the electricals part of the plans and prove your competence to the council so they'll accept your EIC for sign off.

If of course some of this is not part of a larger project then, dealing direct with building control can be expensive, but whether or not the cost/hassle of joining a scheme is worth it will depend on how many smaller jobs you're doing (say a new circuit, or changes in a special location which are not part of a larger planned project).

Upvote 0
Just to be forewarned here, I also qualified on the 15th but the way the standards and regulations have changed over the last 30yrs makes the 15th almost unrecognisable to modern standards, you may thus struggle on an update course given you have been absent from the industry in so long.
I would step cautiously here as you don't want to waste money going down the wrong path, the update courses are the cheapest and best way to bring you up to date so if you can I would invest in the 18th regulations and guides and start going through it with a fine toothpick in preparation, there are whole new chapters on subjects that just didn't exist back in the day like Electric car charging points and requirements.

If you dig into the regs and any guides you can find then use the forum to clarify any points or question any queries,, once you got the hang of it and confidence in the 18th then go for a update course and then follow the advice of SparkyChick on whether you need to be in a scheme.

Upvote 0
I started in the 15th, finished in the 16th. 18th is almost unrecognisable!

Upvote 0
usual to describe a CU in upper case. cu as in see you (usually followed by L8er). (learning text spk off a 5 year old).

Upvote 0

Reply to Bulls##t in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net