Cable rods - BEWARE | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Cable rods - BEWARE in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KevinS

Just to give you the heads up lads
any of you's use fibreglass cable rods?
one of the lads was using them yesterday and a needle like splinter has went into his finger, the hospital are having a real problem removing it, due to the fact it doesn't show up on x-ray very well. May have to have the full finger opened up.
i know it's a pain, but it may be worth wearing gloves when using rods

a bit off topic but brass bushes and cheap k/o boxes have little fragments of metal too, they get into your finger tips and cause them to turn septic
its magnifying glass and tweezers time to remove the bug---s

I use a snake (Fish) otherwise known as a draw tape, failing that I use the more flexible red plastic conduit as used in circulating fire alarm systems or occasionally a bit of flat plastic trunking lid....I have never used fibreglass Rods and never intend to, I wouldn't even trust the fancy looking £200 kits.........not for me......use a nylon draw tape...

I use super rod and I've only ever had problems when I tried to bend one of them at >90deg up a pipe in a every confined space. That completely knackered it and nearly caught some splinters in the process. Otherwise I found them perfect for fishing around across inaccessible spaces, particularly when using a magnet.
I really can't see a problem with these rods as long as you are careful and don't overbend them.

I've never had a problem. Like mentioned, I don't over bend them. Never noticed instructions. I guess it's just one of those things. I've broken a few of the cheap brands though. Don't buy them. Tip on the rods, when they're stuck, spin em

i've used all of the above over the years, plus old fishing rods!

re splinters - if you get one that's hard to remove, mix sugar and soap together, smear it all over the affected area, cover and sleep with it like that. in the morning your splinter will be hanging out of the hole in went into!

honest, it works a treat!

As a result of this I've bought myself some Hellerman Tyton rods (they were on special). They seem much better quality, only thing is, the connectors are a lot bulkier.
I have also bought (on your advice lads) a super fisher.
cheers all

Reply to Cable rods - BEWARE in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net