cable sizes for lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss cable sizes for lighting in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

james king

hi all again its another cable size Q

lighting is ran in conduit and supply 8x ft batton fittings 50w each
grouped with 3 other circuits ran in single cores
total lengh is 100m
230v

can any one give me advice on the size of cable needed, i know the usual is 1.5 for lighting but it states this is industrial.

what is the common lighting cable size in industrial places eg light wareouse

In the warehouse where I work the calc is worked out and the cable size is selected as per the calc.
We do not want to put in to small a cable but on the other had we do not want to put in oversized cable which will cost more.

You can use 1.5mm for the loads above - volt drop will be approx 5v.
Circuit will pull approx 1amp whilst running (maybe more on start up depending on lighting type)

I do remember that when calculating for lighting in a domestic dwelling that all fitting must be calculated as 100w but i'm not sure for commercial.

I have calculated the above using 8 x 50w as the load.

You will need to have the job checked as certain factors will change the calculation, we have run lighting in our factory on 2.5 and 4mm in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI JIGA!

"can any one give me advice on the size of cable needed, i know the usual is 1.5 for lighting but it states this is industrial."

Irrespective of whether it's an industrial installation you will need to consider all aspects of design. You have listed some of the factors that are needed to be considered when designing a circuit. However, nothing should be overlooked and you should revise this fully. For example the type of cable, ambient temp etc....

It's not uncommon to find 2.5mm for lighting in industrial installations.

Hwyl!

Reply to cable sizes for lighting in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net