Cables behind rafters | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cables behind rafters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is it like this diagram?View attachment 3013

I have no knowledge of roofing lol Looking at that diagram though it clearly shows that there should never be any contact.

Why mechanical protection? its double insulated cable rcd protected, the regs only has zones for walls not within the ceiling space, I also cant drill holes in trusses as is against part A and the roof could come falling in.

It would be a way of covering your **** AND protecting the cable which is what it's all about isn't it;)

Now that there is a diagram present it does show that there is very little risk from being damaged by a roofer putting a nail through them. It is apparent now though that IF the tiles and felt were to have to be completely removed then there is a potential hazard present. A discussion for another day perhaps? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cable is on TOP of the rafter I'm with the B.I., should have been drilled through the middle of the rafter though technically you shouldn't drill a rafter or joist under five inches. When you think of it, it's like drapping cables over ceiling joists in a loft, they are vulnerable to anyone placing things on them, they should be drilled through or I clip them near the eaves and put a roofing batten along in front of them for protection.
The B.I. can refuse to issue a completion certificate if ANY part of the job he believe to be sub standard. You may certify through whatever scheme but they then have to register it with Buidling Control, that is what "PART P" is, Part P of the Building Regulations.

Just seen the diagram. ALL tiles/slates have to be fixed, concrete interlocking mabe every third or fourth row. If you're up on the roof doing a repair there is no way you'd see or feel or suspect a cable under the felt and it's very easy to "miss" a batten with a nail.
It probably would never happen but if a roofer was up there in a year or two fixing slipped tiles in the rain and got electrocuted it's your name on the certificate and they (HSE) would be looking to blame someone.

Reply to Cables behind rafters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net