calculation question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss calculation question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

stv292

-
Reaction score
hi

the osg say's i can use 56m of cable of 1.0/1.0 installation method 103,101 e.tc. for lighting, on a radial at 6A. the mV/A/m is 44.
so 44x6x56/1000=14.7v that is 6% of lighting not 3%.
what am i missing

The resistance of a single 1mm2 copper conductor at 20oC is 19.5 mohm/m (possibly 18.1 in OSG) this gives a volt drop of 6.55 V over 56m at 6A. You may be looking at R1 + R2 values instead which are two conductors in series so your length would then be 112m.

Last edited:
the volt drop in the tables allows for the resistance of the line and neutral added together. what chris is saying is that the load is not all at 1 end of the circuit. say you've got 6 lights, each drawing 1A, evenly spaced. the first section of the cable carrys 6A, the 2nd carrys 5A , the 3rd carrys 4A etc., so the VD calculation is a bit more complicated than if it were a single load at the end of the cable. as a rough guide, you could calculate the VD for a single load, then divide by 2 to get an approximate value.

so when you installing a load of lights spread around cheshire, you actualy have more allowance for vd than allowed at the extremity of the circuit.... ive never done this sum, as you say ive only been taught the single load one

Reply to calculation question in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
If it is TT then you can use the armour of any of them as CPC but will almost certainly need an up-front delay RCD at the sub-main feed point to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
(2.4-0.4)×1.2+0.4 = 2.8ohms
Replies
Views
  • Question
The conductivity value stated on Wikipedia, etc, will be for pure crystal copper, not the annealed stuff with traces of oxygen and other elements...
Replies
Views
Thanks little spark. Good point but the drivers I'm considering have a sync and communication between driver function. So (as long as it works)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
As you have actually measured the cold resistance (R1 + Rn = 0.15) then you have the voltage drop at the expected current (60A) so you can compute...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks