Call out | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Call out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lister

Call out to various faults, traced back to this, 17th ed board done recently.........you guessed it- No Paperwork, (no surprises there then) not sure who he was, did a deal for cash!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Call out

If only we could bring out some sort of scheme to regulate electrical installs......................

It's not a village, it's a large town of over 100,000 people and is a part of a conurbation which stretches approximately 14 miles along both sides of the river Tyne. We even have christianity and TV mate. One of the major saints, Bede, was from Jarrow

Do you know one of the problems i find these days , i torque have done for years ive had a burnt out terminal on one of my boards , cause was due to the neutral bar Splitting where the main neutral cable went in i didnt notice it when it was done only 3 years after i did the job when it melted !! , one of the main problems with all consumer units is the screws they are absolute crap im sure they are made out of lead put a screw driver on them and they slip then you cant tighten them so I have suggested to several manufacturers that they change them to torx head bolts and supply a bit they wont slip then

Do you know one of the problems i find these days , i torque have done for years ive had a burnt out terminal on one of my boards , cause was due to the neutral bar Splitting where the main neutral cable went in i didnt notice it when it was done only 3 years after i did the job when it melted !! , one of the main problems with all consumer units is the screws they are absolute crap im sure they are made out of lead put a screw driver on them and they slip then you cant tighten them so I have suggested to several manufacturers that they change them to torx head bolts and supply a bit they wont slip then

It's not just the material - it's the baggy tolerances of the screw threads. I'm an engineer to trade and know all about threads and these ones have a special name - Pi$$y slackl!!

The other issue is there is insufficient length of thread in the tapped holes and that together with the pi$$y fit of the screws is the reason why the screws work loose. The standard spec. is 1 and 1/3rd X the diameter of the screw, so if the screw is say 5mm there should be at least 6.66mm of thread for the screw to screw into, but you'll be lucky to see that in any consumer unit.

The problem with terminal screws working loose - as I see it - has more to do with poor manufacturing processes than what type of screwdriver you use.

i dont like torque drivers, they can split the naff boards people work on

Reply to Call out in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net