Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GVCCRLM

DIY
Reaction score
I have some lights flickering in the house. I was told tightening the circuit breaker wires in the electrical boxes might help eliminate the flickering. Is it possible to tighten the wires without having to turn off power to the house.

Thanks

I do not want reset all electronics, internet, modems, routers, clocks, timers, etc.

Power off requires a complete reset of the house.

Well, you’ve got a choice here….

1. Risk killing your self

Or

2. Spend 15 minutes resetting clocks & routers etc… on completion of the job

Not really a hard decision in my eyes.

or GFCI's (he's other side of the pond)

Which is why he can't technically
...REMOVE COVER of consumer unit without turning power off....
because it's not a consumer unit (an odd 1950s British term) but a panel.

It would be interesting to compare the officially-recommended isolation procedure in different locations. Although BS7671 is less formulaic than some others, I think we might have the most specifically scripted procedure, not least because it specifies a certain type of instrument. I expect that in some jurisdictions, 'follow safe isolation procedure' sounds just like 'switch off and test for dead' or perhaps just 'switch off' or even 'tark the biffle with a roop-grubbler.'

because it's not a consumer unit (an odd 1950s British term) but a panel.
Someone pointed out that a CU in our regs is specifically a type-tested combination for domestic use, where as DB/panel would be for anything else that is not to that specification.
It would be interesting to compare the officially-recommended isolation procedure in different locations. Although BS7671 is less formulaic than some others, I think we might have the most specifically scripted procedure, not least because it specifies a certain type of instrument. I expect that in some jurisdictions, 'follow safe isolation procedure' sounds just like 'switch off and test for dead' or perhaps just 'switch off' or even 'tark the biffle with a roop-grubbler.'
I was hoping that @Megawatt would be along to comment as he knows far more about USA practice than I do. I think they are now required to have some sort of isolator before their panel that houses the breakers, but I don't know the details & history of it. They don't seem to have cur-out fuses for that sort of job and while removing the meter is a means of isolation, I think that is illegal for anyone other than their DNO equivalent.

Someone pointed out that a CU in our regs is specifically a type-tested combination for domestic use, where as DB/panel would be for anything else that is not to that specification.

It's a terrible term.

Most homeowners consider it a 'fuseboard' and, regardless of how that may be inaccurate, it's often best to speak to people in terms they understand.

In reality it's a distribution board (albeit of a specific type) and I don't know why we have a specific term for domestic DBs, when homeowners are more likely to understand the meaning of 'distribution board, than 'consumer unit'.

I have some lights flickering in the house. I was told tightening the circuit breaker wires in the electrical boxes might help eliminate the flickering. Is it possible to tighten the wires without having to turn off power to the house.

Thanks
Who ever told you that you can tighten up your screws in a panel while it is still under power is an idiot and sounds like he’s trying to kill you or it could blow up in your face. Even veteran electricians shouldn’t work in a live panel and with you being a DIY is more dangerous. If you have lights flickering I doubt that it’s in your panel. I’ve seen lights flickering in my house and Usually it’s the bulbs itself fixing to burn out. HIRE AN ELECTRICIAN and saying you have to reset your clocks is a very small price to pay for your safety.

It's a terrible term.

Most homeowners consider it a 'fuseboard' and, regardless of how that may be inaccurate, it's often best to speak to people in terms they understand.

In reality it's a distribution board (albeit of a specific type) and I don't know why we have a specific term for domestic DBs, when homeowners are more likely to understand the meaning of 'distribution board, than 'consumer unit'.
Personally I just use the term distribution board, which incidentally is not incorrect for a "consumer unit" as this is defined as a particular type of type-tested single phase distribution board. But usually with customers I will reference the fuse board so that they know what I'm talking about, or if written generally "distribution board (fuse box)" or something similar.

Thanks
I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near live breakers. It's never necessary anyway.
FIY DIYers are not allowed to go near the CU by the way. Building Regs Part P. I think you will find it describes any work on the CU as notifiable and requiring the services of a registered electrician.

Building Regs Part P. I think you will find it describes any work on the CU as notifiable and requiring the services of a registered electrician.
There are plenty of US citizens that seem to think their domestic law applies the world over, but I doubt if there are any who think domestic UK law applies in the US.

I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near live breakers. It's never necessary anyway.
FIY DIYers are not allowed to go near the CU by the way. Building Regs Part P. I think you will find it describes any work on the CU as notifiable and requiring the services of a registered electrician.
That is a lot of misinformation.

That is a lot of misinformation.
Which part?
In the meantime...
https://electrical.------.org/bs-76...england-and-wales/frequently-asked-questions/
[ElectriciansForums.net] Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power?

Reply to Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net