Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GVCCRLM

DIY
Reaction score
I have some lights flickering in the house. I was told tightening the circuit breaker wires in the electrical boxes might help eliminate the flickering. Is it possible to tighten the wires without having to turn off power to the house.

Thanks

It's implied. The work needs to be covered by an EIC. A DIYer can't self certificate.
Read your 'notifiable works' and see it applies to the OP ignoring the fact he/she is based in the US.

There are plenty of US citizens that seem to think their domestic law applies the world over, but I doubt if there are any who think domestic UK law applies in the US.
I don’t know what your referring to but I don’t think that our law applies the world over. We have obviously different voltages but I highly respect the work and testing that y’all have to go through to complete your project. We just have a lot of so called cowboy electrical that don’t know there butt from the ground and do and say stupid s—y.

I don’t know what your referring to but I don’t think that our law applies the world over. We have obviously different voltages but I highly respect the work and testing that y’all have to go through to complete your project. We just have a lot of so called cowboy electrical that don’t know there butt from the ground and do and say stupid s—y.
I'm hearing you. I'm currently working with a predominantly US crew, with a mix of US / Europe kit, spread across pretty much every connector type that's ever been invented..... in Germany. Yesterday I had someone (technical but not electrical) ask me why his gear was measuring current on the Neutral in Europe when it didn't in America - and so I (amazingly had the time...) to give a toolbox talk on 3ph theory, neutral currents etc and by the time I'd finished I must have had an audience of at least a dozen, from a variety of countries. And I constantly remind my no.2 on this gig that he's not in the UK anymore and different countries have different standards - even though the physics stays the same.

I've had similar 'globalised' electrical scenarios when working with US film crews in Europe with partly UK gear etc. But perhaps the most interesting cross-territory electrical experiences have been on design projects for cruise ships. Consider a US-owned and operated ship being built in an Italian yard to a Scandinavian design using UK engineering for the entertainment systems. Customer specifies all NEMA outlets, straight blade, twist lock and stage pin, yard specifies all European cables, I'm designing custom panels to be made here in the UK. As well as the local regs we're working to meet Lloyds register requirements for ships, in a theatre with dimmed, non-dim and hard power at three different voltages, single, split and 3-phase delta (some equipment had to be made specially for delta.)

One day I've got a pile of engineering samples of receptacles on my desk that the Hubbell rep has left me, and I'm toying with something like an L14-30R looking at the terminals W, X, Y and G and trying to get into the frame of mind: 'OK, If I was an Italian spark, what would I expect to see on the termination schedule for this?'

Reply to Can I tighten neutral circuit breaker wires without turning off power? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net