Can Someone Help? Melted Plug? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Can Someone Help? Melted Plug? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just re-reading th OP's post
I have a dryer that was plugged into an extension - a single plug to outlet wire - not one of those you plug loads into.
and
We have no plug sockets near the dryer so it might need to be moved so we can do without an extension.

That suggests to me we're not talking about a hand held hair dryer. It could be anything from a tumble-dryer through sit under hair dryer, to a seed dryer on a farm. I also wonder if the "dryer" came with a plug originally?

So, Fiona, what sort of equipment are we talking about here?

Just re-reading th OP's post and .

That suggests to me we're not talking about a hand held hair dryer. It could be anything from a tumble-dryer through sit under hair dryer, to a seed dryer on a farm. I also wonder if the "dryer" came with a plug originally?

Ah, well spotted. For some reason I assumed it was a hairdryer. Maybe because a woman posted the question...
Yes, a tumble dryer would be more likely to cause problems if plugged into an extension lead.

Just re-reading th OP's post and .

Do keep up, I asked that question 2 hours ago....... :lol:

Technically you slyed it in on the end of a post.
If this is a tumble dryer why was everyone talking about how much hair Tel has got?

because it was a good excuse to have a pop at me. just because i'm getting on a bit, don't mean i go to the barbers for a wax and polish.

would probably install a new socket and also have the wiring to the socket that was used checked out, the wiring going to that might be too thin for the load that was on it (about 11A continuous) and the current might have heated the wall socket innards and the plug pins up.....in turn heating the plug to the point of melting...this load would likely have been on for long durations, 1 or even 2 hours at a time....

The wiring going into the wall socket plate from behind might well be heat damaged as well, if you prefer you could just avoid using that socket until after the new year when you can get it sorted out...

can you dry things on radiators or a clothes horse for the next 2 weeks or so until you can get somebody to have a look? I think this would be better than melting electrical connections....

Would I pee people off if I took the conversation back to electrics?!

The this drier is knackered and drawing a high enough load (repeatedly) to melt a plug top and socket, then the 13A fuse clearly isn't there or isn't doing it's job.

As the OP has said, she has replaced the extension which rules out the plug top being at fault. She's also used an alternative socket, so that rules out a loose connection in the outlet.

My money would be on a faulty drier, drawing too much current so repeatedly popping the fuse, so someone has stuck an old nail and wrap of foil in the drier plug...

Does the driers own cable get hot?

Would I pee people off if I took the conversation back to electrics?!

The this drier is knackered and drawing a high enough load (repeatedly) to melt a plug top and socket, then the 13A fuse clearly isn't there or isn't doing it's job.

As the OP has said, she has replaced the extension which rules out the plug top being at fault. She's also used an alternative socket, so that rules out a loose connection in the outlet.

My money would be on a faulty drier, drawing too much current so repeatedly popping the fuse, so someone has stuck an old nail and wrap of foil in the drier plug...

Does the driers own cable get hot?

Makes sense but has gone through 2 extension leads, both of which would have fused plugs. so even if the dryer fuse was a nail they should have protected the plug/socket.

It really needs a spark to have a proper look at it......

Makes sense but has gone through 2 extension leads, both of which would have fused plugs. so even if the dryer fuse was a nail they should have protected the plug/socket.

Ah, that's a very good point...

*removes stupid hat*

That's a really odd one actually...

The MCB/fuse should be protecting the socket and isn't. But even if that's not working then the plug top fuse on the drier or extension should be popping, but isn't.

Usually down to a loose connection in the socket but clearly not in this case (unless of course the connections were loose in BOTH sockets the OP tried!)

Reply to Can Someone Help? Melted Plug? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net