Caravan hookups | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Caravan hookups in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was asked to test five caravan pitches for someone I've done a few jobs for. Now, I'll admit my knowledge on TT systems is not vast so I'm looking for a bit of advice. The install has been tested by a large local contractor every three years. When I got there the setup was as follows. BS 1361 cutout - meter- 63 amp 100mA rcd - 16mm Swa - 5 way db (63amp 30mA main switch) (roughly 20m away),then out to the hookups via 10 amp mcb's. There was a 10mm earth out to multiple rods connected to the RCD steel enclosure (as told by customer). There was also a 16mm earth to the PME cutout? I know this is incorrect so I disconnected it and got 110 ohms Ra. This is obviously classed as stable but not ideal. My problem is, why did this other contractor not pick up on this, or am I the one that's wrong?? Before anyone else pipes up I know there are other faults ie no overload protection on the supply to the 5 way db!
Thanks for reading!

Regarding RCDs, I haven't really taken in what you have said about it yet here, best practice is RCDs at the caravan point rather than away from it IMO, however I will have another read of the OP later and respond again tommorrow, if I can get in before E54 LOL

Thanks guys, I was doubting myself as I have the previous 15 years test sheets and there is no mention of any of the issues I found!
Well there should have been a code regarding the PME bit on the existing sheets, the inspector didn't know his oninions from his garlic I am afraid, at least you have questioned it, section 7 will have much more.

But it's not tt'd at the hookup, it tt and PME at source.

Thats no issue, I thought you meant mixing at the caravan outlet end, as it is now thats the case, thats why Carlos disconnected the PME earth due to the concern the outlets were PMEd, that is what the thread is basically about.

But your are introducing the PME potential to the TT

Quite right fella, thats why I suggested to carlos he connect the existing earth into a wago in the back of the outlet and rod at that point.

I was asked to test five caravan pitches for someone I've done a few jobs for. Now, I'll admit my knowledge on TT systems is not vast so I'm looking for a bit of advice. The install has been tested by a large local contractor every three years. When I got there the setup was as follows. BS 1361 cutout - meter- 63 amp 100mA rcd - 16mm Swa - 5 way db (63amp 30mA main switch) (roughly 20m away),then out to the hookups via 10 amp mcb's. There was a 10mm earth out to multiple rods connected to the RCD steel enclosure (as told by customer). There was also a 16mm earth to the PME cutout? I know this is incorrect so I disconnected it and got 110 ohms Ra. This is obviously classed as stable but not ideal. My problem is, why did this other contractor not pick up on this, or am I the one that's wrong?? Before anyone else pipes up I know there are other faults ie no overload protection on the supply to the 5 way db!
Thanks for reading!

There is no problem connecting a TT system to any TN supply earthing, although an Ra value of over a 100 ohms isn't going to add anything to a PME system!! From what i can tell from the OP, you are saying that the SWA radials away from the 5 way DB are carrying the same PME supply earth to the caravan hook-ups, which is also fine.

It's at the caravan hook up's where the PME earthing system needs to be isolated from the caravan plug and socket supply , and a TT system earth provided.... The caravan plug & socket hook up points should contain the 30mA DP RCD's not at the 5 way DB as has been stated. That 30mA main switch in the 5 way DB should be changed out for a straight isolator, and the RCD after the meter changed out for a 100 or 300mA S type. Whats the betting the CU in the caravan is also protected by a 30mA RCD too lol!

Reply to Caravan hookups in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back