Cat 6 solid core for rj45 male ends | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Cat 6 solid core for rj45 male ends in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi , i was told by an IT guy in a place that i was working that solid core cat 6 shouldn't be used with male rj45 ends and the cat 6 solid core ends should be terminated to a female end and pre made patch leads(apparently they are mad with stranded cable) should then be used to connect to computers/tv's etc. Has any one heard of this before?

Presumably it's to do with the flexibility of the cables. Solid core cables should always be installed so that they're not subjected to frequent bending, as the cores will "work harden" and eventually fracture.
Applies to all cables, not just data cables.

Brianmoooore beat me to it, but I'll post wot I rote anyway!

Solid Cat 6 would normally be used for the building infrastructure, and places where it doesn't move. Stranded is used for flexible leads - patch panels, connections to machines etc.
So you would normally expect solid to end up at a socket, and the cable with the plug on would be flexible.
That is more or less what your colleague was saying.
I can say from experience that network cables used around the place to plug between sockets and machines don't last very long if they are made with solid strands.

Yes - an analogy I got taught years ago for cables is 'like a good partner - solid on the inside, flexible on the outside'.

The problem these days is where cat5 & 6 is used for CCTV wiring and increasing the number of connections between the NVR and cameras just creates more points of failure and transmission losses

The problem these days is where cat5 & 6 is used for CCTV wiring and increasing the number of connections between the NVR and cameras just creates more points of failure and transmission losses
In fairness to the OP, that's a slightly different issue. All versions of 'CAT' are meant to be a seamless continuous run from end to end. Patch bays and joints are only ever as good as the person who installed it.

Ive done a few bits of diy networking in my own place using cat5 end-to-end

But as said above the solids not meant to be used as a flexible end connection in pro work

Last edited:

Reply to Cat 6 solid core for rj45 male ends in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net