Chasing cable in a ceiling. | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Chasing cable in a ceiling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to convert a pendant into three downlights in the hallway of a ground floor flat. No access available from above, so the simplest way I could come up with would be chasing the cable into the actual ceiling and plastering it in. All RCD protected, so was thinking that I'm just treating the ceiling as a horizontal wall, but the problem would be that I don't think there are any safe zones in a ceiling so anyone could come along later and not know where my cables are.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

If this is a concrete ceiling forget the whole idea. You can’t chase it without a structural survey. I’ll tell you what the answer will be now, NO WAY!

There again, if the people above are good friend with your clients. They may enjoy sharing a communal lounge, all be it on two floors!

IF it was a concrete ceiling then DO NOT CHASE IT! Besides being a nightmare to do, as suggested already it would need looking at by someone to make sure the whole lot won't come down on your head. If it's plasterboard or similar, just use your rods and try to make as little mess as possible! People seem obsessed with downlights these days, don't know why, they are more trouble than they are worth. Bring back the trusty one pendant per room, I say! Mind you, I do get a lot of work from their installation, so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

Just cut nice 64mm holes and use rods if plasterboard. And as said before if you hit a joist drill a hole either side. After you have done just fit the 64mm cut offs back in the ceiling with some timber. Then use some filler. Easy. If its a concrete ceiling... No chance don't even go there let some other muppet do it.

Thanks all, and sorry for lack of detail. I haven't started the job yet but it's a converted Victorian house so I assume lathe and plaster ceilings. I'll be (hopefully!) fitting fire-rated mains downlights. So is the concensus to use rods to lay cable on the ceiling and notch out the bottom of the joists where necessary? If so, should I be thinking about some sort of mechanical protection below the joists? Thanks.

if the property has been converted from a house to 2 flats , then there is nearly always a clause in tenancy agreement / property deeds to allow for access in the other persons flat to carry out necessary repairs etc.

9 times out of 10 when we're wrecking ceilings for access we reboard and have them skimmed. Always a top finish and taking on a spread for a couple of hours is a damn sight cheaper than a spark filling holes badly for half a day!

Average ceiling 4-5 boards? = £35
Drylining screws? = £5
Bag of multi-finish? = £7
Plasterer? = £60
A finished job that doesn't look like a bag of excrement? = Priceless!

Reply to Chasing cable in a ceiling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net