Chasing cable in a ceiling. | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Chasing cable in a ceiling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to convert a pendant into three downlights in the hallway of a ground floor flat. No access available from above, so the simplest way I could come up with would be chasing the cable into the actual ceiling and plastering it in. All RCD protected, so was thinking that I'm just treating the ceiling as a horizontal wall, but the problem would be that I don't think there are any safe zones in a ceiling so anyone could come along later and not know where my cables are.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I am renovating my flat in the 1st floor of a council building. the ceiling and floor are both concrete.
Are we allowed the chase the cable in the ceiling for 30-50n Cm to change the place of lights?
My builder says he can do it with an angle grinder but the electrician says its not allowed.

thanks

Nad
Neither can make that call as they're not competent to do so. Only a structural engineer familiar with the block and building methods employed would be able to determine this.

If you're going to struggle to find the information required then my advice would be to batten and board the ceiling. That way you don't risk damaging it's structural integrity.

Neither can make that call as they're not competent to do so. Only a structural engineer familiar with the block and building methods employed would be able to determine this.

If you're going to struggle to find the information required then my advice would be to batten and board the ceiling. That way you don't risk damaging it's structural integrity.
Who are you? ;-)

long time no see. how's the North Africa campaign progressing noe the emeny's got that monty fellow in charge?

You never used to mess about Damien.....get Rommel to strap up a grenade or two and have a plasterer handy.

Hope things are OK, mate.

Last edited:
You never used to mess about Damien.....get Rommel to strap up a grenade or two and have a plasterer handy.

Hope things are OK, mate.
I can't complain. Life trundles on by and I get older, fatter and my skills fade. At least I get to watch my kids get bigger, stronger and learn new skills though.

Every cloud ?

all credit should not go to him. it was the RAF and RN that scuppered your supplies. how rthe hell did \hitler expect you to fight on without your regular supply od bratwurst?

I can't complain. Life trundles on by and I get older, fatter and my skills fade. At least I get to watch my kids get bigger, stronger and learn new skills though.

Every cloud ?
skills never fade. they just get forgotten with old age. now where did i leave my MFT?

I didn't. That's really sad. A great mind and a pillar of the community has been lost.

How did you come about the news? Was he joined by loved ones?
Phil Davie phoned me. apparentlyTony had been ill for a long while and according to my info., he died in his sleep, but I don't know how accurate this is.

Reply to Chasing cable in a ceiling. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net